Search the forum,

Discuss Has this toulet been installed wrong/bodge job in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

We have had a downstairs wc fitted with toilet and cabinet behind. The unit The toilet backed onto was supposed to be a basic white gloss cabinet however we have ended up with the attached. The person who installed it is adiment that the plinth is installed correctly, and it should come with this shelf. He has said he can cut it down but I think it will look a mess. He has confirmed that it is a 500 unit but they only do a 600 top but this makes no sence to me. He recons they have upgraded from a standard 500 unit from city plumbing apparently Richmond range but he said I won't find an illustration of it online ?!? He also claims the plinth is right something to do with doors that may be there if it was in a line with the sink but I can't see how that makes a difference for the height difference/gap?!?! The push button confuses me also as the little button is loose and just wobbles about and doesn't appear to serve any purpose. To fully flush the loo you have to keep the large button depressed for quite some time.

Does anyone have anything simular? It is not what we were expecting but they think we are being unreasonable as its a better unit but I am sure we are being take for a ride. Others opinions would be greatly received.

Attachments

• 20210403_203255.jpg
    20210403_203255.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210403_203251.jpg
    20210403_203251.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210403_203248.jpg
    20210403_203248.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 56
The wider lid looks nicely fitted. Whether that was the manufacture's intention or something that has been cobbled together using end of line discounted goods with limited width availability (or cobbled by the local merchant and sold as a special?) is not something I can comment on. It could be kosher and it may be true that it won't be on the City website: usually merchants' websites are not really worth bothering with because internet is not really how merchants and plumbers tend to do business. The real issue is what both you and the plumber thought you agreed and what you could reasonably expect to see installed. If you had clearly agreed a specific design of cabinet then you can't be forced to accept something significantly different just because it's an 'upgrade', but if all you agreed was 'basic white gloss', then it meets the description.

The sections of wood at skirting level look wrong, which is a pity in the context of what is otherwise a reasonably tidy room. It's almost as if they got given the wrong plinth parts and have made the best of them instead of taking them back or they've cut them to size badly.

As far as the button is concerned, full flush is generally push the button without pushing the small wobbly bit, short flush is usually push with your finger over the small wobbly bit. In both cases, then you can release pretty much instantly. If not, then the internal flush valve / flush volume setup has not quite been done right and needs adjustment. You usually will get an even longer flush if you hold the button in, but should not need to hold the button in for normal use. Not to have explained how it works makes me wonder if the guy was really a plumber, however.

The small wobbly bit usually serves the sole purpose of preventing you from pushing the big button in as far when you want a short flush. You are right to say it does not seem to do a lot, but that's normal!

Total price paid and town or county would be interesting to know.

The install was all part of a bigger job including kitchen. As far as we were concerned we were having a normal white gloss cabinet that was not end of line etc. We didn't need or request for a cheaper version. The price paid for the unit and toilet was around £320. Install is all part of a wider job kitchen install costing many thousands. They are experienced but the lead person is a bit of a talker, ie everything is right even when it's clearly not. Example cooker hob was not installed correctly showing a 5mm gap at the back between counter and glass top, he was adiment this was correct and was due to it being installed on quartz it turned out the wire was caught underneath when that was corrected it fitted smoothly as it should.

He is coming back to cut down the top, but the plinths he is adiment that is how they are designed. He initially said its the correct top but then later admitted it wasn't it makes no sence to us as he changes his story to suit but he is not a very good liar so catches himself out.

We are based in the Midlands.

To be honest that's a bit of a mess.
Doesn't matter what his excuses are, you want the skirting doing properly, the lid replacing, the flush adjusting and the pan base sealing to the floor with silicone. A couple of bad shots from men standing to use that loo and your room will smell of pee.
It's a fluidmaster flush valve(good valve), the little button is always loose.

To be honest that's a bit of a mess.
Doesn't matter what his excuses are, you want the skirting doing properly, the lid replacing, the flush adjusting and the pan base sealing to the floor with silicone. A couple of bad shots from men standing to use that loo and your room will smell of pee.
It's a fluidmaster flush valve(good valve), the little button is always loose.
Thank you I'll put that to them.

Reply to Has this toulet been installed wrong/bodge job in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock