Search the forum,

Discuss Has my hot water cylinder coil broke? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Open a hot water tap to allow air in and help drain the pipework. (The glugging sound on the video is the clue that this is needed.)
Ive had the nearest hot tap open througout the drainning

This slight flow that has been draining out from a short refill has just finished. Took a long time, and cant help but feel more water than what I let back in the tank just to wash ip up again.

I have refilled the tank completely now, its full but some pressure is returning to the boiler 0.2 Bar to 0.7bar, the filling loop valve is shut.

How can the CH pressure increase by filling the DHW tank if they are separate systems? Is this not a sign that there is A breach i.e. coil split/perforated

So you filled the ch sys to 1 bar then opened / left open the cylinder drain and water came out and the boiler pressure went down ?

So, the tank refill was complete, central heating and hot water

I’ve still not opened the filling loop to fill the boiler/central heating system but the boilder pressure
So you filled the ch sys to 1 bar then opened / left open the cylinder drain and water came out and the boiler pressure went down ?
yes, as above. Ive tried tried to do this. I did go a bit past 1 bar in filling back, but in my configuration, opening the filling loop and the col water valve (on the picture I put that you asked for) water is also going into the empty tank at the same TimE (not sure that is what you intended.

I began to drain the tank/cyclinder, opened a hot water tap to let air escape, drained the cylinder totally and the pressure at the boiler dropped to as it was ealrier in the day when emptied (about 0.2 bar) the water was a little discoloured.

Right don’t fill the heating system up remove the flexi link

open the cold water to the cylinder and vent eg fill it up

does the heating system pressure rise

Ive then after above, refilled the cyclinder/tank fully with the filling loop valve (to the central heating) closed. Boiler gauge was at 0.2bar.

The tank was full and I left it for a couple of hours. Boiler i.e. central heating pressure is now just short of 1.8 bar

How can the CH / boiler pressure increase with the filling loop valve closed? Other than filling slowly through a coil breach?

Ive just opened the filling loop just now and there was no inrush of water at all.

ive turned the heating and hot water back on now for the first time all day

Remove one side of the filling loop is there water coming out ?

Remove one side of the filling loop is there water coming out ?
So with DHW tank and CH seemingly fully filled now, remove the loop a the blue circle with the filling loop valve closed (as in the picture).

Attachments

• 85EADBFC-9BA6-430E-8B36-A7F80B4E90B3.jpeg
    85EADBFC-9BA6-430E-8B36-A7F80B4E90B3.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 10
Correct right nut on the flexi remove slowly encase there’s water there

Is the water back onto the cylinder?

Then yes I would concur that your hot water cylinder has failed somewhere

Your filling loop could of been passing eg feeding and back feeding the cold water

your heating pressure drains and refills when you drain or refill the cylinder

Your filling loop could of been passing eg feeding and back feeding the cold water

your heating pressure drains and refills when you drain or refill the cylinder
Thanks. least I know the problem, though gutted as it’s going to be a costly fix.
best find check my pockets for £1000+ lying around .

my Vaillant Boiler is old but working (borrowed time).

will I need to replace the cyclinder with a Vaillant one to go with the Vaillant boiler. I’ve heard they are on the expensive side “just because it’s vaillant”.

Pressure/pressures always try to reach an equilibrium. Your sealed heating system is usually pressurised to around 1 bar, depending on certain things, whereas your unvented hot water system will usually be restricted to 2.5-3 bar. If the filling loop fails your sealed heating system pressure will creep to whatever the pressure relief valve is set to, normally 2.5- 3 bar before it acts and discharges. If the coil splits (which seems to be the case) then the same will happen, the heating system pressure will rise until an equilibrium is reached or the pressure relief valve acts. Remember a lot about plumbing systems and thermodynamics is all about the equilibrium.

You can go with another manufacturer but if your planning on going with a new vaillant boiler when the other one goes then it’s best to match as there controls work together

I've been thinking about this and how it all makes sense in hindsight. This would be my reconstruction, and hopefully people will tell me if they think it is wrong:

The OP had a sealed system (primary water) at 1 bar (estimated) pressure. That's the heating system. There was also a mains pressure cylinder. The two systems should not be able to mix at the coil, but the coil was starting to leak.

Presumably the mains pressure is not that high (or there is a pressure reducing valve) so the pressure in the cylinder was not much greater than in the sealed heating system so some kind of rough equilibrium developed without the heating system PRV having to open. Some mixing of the two water systems occurred as pressures fluctuated, but this was minimal as the 2 systems had roughly equal pressures. Enough to lead to active corrosion and brown water in the heating system (rather than a small amount of black sediment), but not enough for the OP to notice a problem.

Then the mains failed. At this point, the heating system pressure was much higher than the pressure in the cylinder and a large quantity of heating system water had to run into the cylinder to restore equal pressures. This may have enlarged the existing leak and noticeably contaminated the cylinder water.

If the OP does not intend to replace his boiler immediately, I would recommend that when he has the cylinder changed he makes some effort to improve the (probably very poor) quality of the primary water. At least several fills and draindowns or a mains flush, and then refill with quality inhibitor. It is surprising how long a boiler can run on borrowed time if looked after, if you're lucky!

I think Ric2013 has got what happened spot on.

I’m glad we have all got to the bottom of it and I really appreciate eveyone help. Cheers guys

———————

I have a quote for replacing the cylinder, and a power flush which I might consider but funds are tight. Does this seem reasonable?

it is not replacing for another vaillant but a good quality cyclinder.

Please find below our costs for above works,

• Drain, decommission and remove existing Vaillant cylinder.
  • Install new Main 150 Litre unvented cylinder.
  • Install new unvented safety controls including TPRV, PRV, 3bar safety set, expansion vessel.
  • Alter existing pipe work and 3 way valve to suit new cylinder.
  • Alter wiring of system in airing cupboard to suit new cylinder.
  • Install new 2 port safety zone valve.
  • Inhibit system.
  • Test and commission to manufactures instructions.
  • Waste removed from site.

£1008.11 + VAT

• Powerfush 13 radiator system using Kamco FX2 chemicals then system neutraliser, Then test and re-inhibit system.

£450 + VAT

New heating expansion and safety set ?

Reply to Has my hot water cylinder coil broke? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock