Search the forum,

Discuss Has kerosene got an additive in it to make it burn cleaner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Further to my post I have a problem boiler which keeps locking out.

It's an ignition fault but I have swapped a lot of the parts required for ignition.

Many years ago I had a problem with a boiler and the problem was the fuel had an additive in it that made it burn cleaner so the photocell couldn't pick it up.

Does anybody know of anything like that now? I've not heard of it recently but I'm literally pulling my hair out with this boiler.

It's a trianco max 4 burner I think cant remember off the top of my head.

Oil pump was noisy so had a new pump and 2 new photocells I put a second hand and them brand new box on then took back off only thing not touched is the lead to the photocell.

What about the transformer. They need a really good spark.
The motor bearing closest to the oil pump can get tight, the capacitor will need testing as well.
How long does it run before lockout.

It sparks lights then locks out after the spark stops.

You can hear it light. I've had the burner out and running to check spark. Last time I was there the boiler wouldnt light at all removed the photocell and put another new one in and it ran for the best part of a week then started playing up again. Wouldnt of thought it would be bearing as oil pressure stays constant all the time. No water in the fuel.

I am completely at a loss with the boiler.

Check electrodes for cracks, electrode leads for break's. Visually check transformer for swelling and listen to it when igniting, you should hear a clear sizzling from electrodes.
Did the new pump come with a new solenoid coil.
Did you change the nozzle, it may not be making a good flame for the photocell to see. And if there is a hole in the blast tube, make sure the hole is inline with the photocell.
If you have a spare transformer try it on it.

You can hear it and see that it has fired but it sparks for 30 secs then locks out. So I dont think it's a problem with actual lighting it's the sensing that is the problem. When it runs as well it will just drop out then re ignite every now and then.

I swapped the burnt out photocell about a month ago and it worked for a week then played up went out gave it a good service and pump was noisy so replaced that and put new nozzle in, worked for 3 days then played up again went out checked oil for water checked photocell drilled hole in blast tube for photocell, worked for a week no problem then went down again, checked photocell swapped control box for one I had in the van (830.3 in boiler 832.3 on van) still locked out. So went back with new photocell and control box and swapped photocell and worked for a week and came back in yesterday.

Oil pressure is constant, spark is good (I removed the burner from the boiler and ran it with the solenoid disconnected to check the spark. I even later on ran it with the burner not in the boiler just so I could see the flame and all looks good. Co2 is 11% and smoke pump all good.

You are spot on, on what you have done. It could be still the transformer, working when cold and breaking down when it heats up. If you have a multimeter that tests the capacitor check it. If you have a leaking capacitor ( ie sticky yellow liquid) you need to change it.
That sounds like a nightmare.

Nightmare is an understatement :( I even had to go out when I was meant to be having a week off, luckily enough he is a nice bloke and didnt mind me working it around the surf.

Problem is this is my second problem oil boiler I've got another that the motor doesnt start so I whipped oil pump out and it started,it wasn't sounding the best either so went of got another come back put new pump in and didnt start up checked capacitor which wasn't right so got a new one in and fitted that and put old pump back on worked ok for 4 hours then stopped, put new pump on it and it worked ok for 3 days then stopped again. So I've got that beaut to look at as well today:mad:

If you’re absolutely sure it’s igniting then control box not seeing flame. If you’ve changed the photocell, check nothing is blocking the sight path. If that ok, then looks like a new control box needed.

It could be the solenoid coil. I've had them working but only marginally, starting ok from cold but as things warm up the magnet doesn't hold the solenoid valve open and it goes to lock out. It's been a long time since I worked on oil but I have had that problem a couple of times in the past.

Reply to Has kerosene got an additive in it to make it burn cleaner in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock