Search the forum,

Discuss Hard water filter for shower in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have just had to replace a Wickes electic shower; the new one is a Mira Sprint multifit.

The installation instructions say that a water treatment device is required if water hardness is over 200ppm; otherwise the guarantee will not be honoured. My water is rated a Very Hard, so I guess it's over 200ppm.

What type of 'water treatment device' would you recommend?

A water softener is required for hard water normally use Harvey’s brand

1. If you want a proper water softener you are talking North of £1,000 including fitting.
2. I would write to Mira, and ask them for a recommended method / brand. Then if you follow their recommendation they will find it more difficult to weasel out of the guarantee.
3. Without going to the lengths of a proper ion exchange type water softener, you have two options:
3a. An inline "magnetic" device. E.g. Screwfix 1436F. I don't think I've ever seen any definitive proof this type do any good, but if Mira says its OK, then perhaps fit one.
3b. A "combimate" type polyphosphate conditioner. Probably better than 3a, but needs refilling from time to time.
4. Given that much of the UK is hard water, seems to me Mira should be advertising their showers as not fit for large parts of the country.

Unless you have other reasons for wanting a water softener, £1000 to gain warranty protection that you'll probably never claim for a £120 shower doesn't seem like a good deal to me. Just buy a second shower unit and keep it in the roof as a spare and save £880. Or do what most people do and clean the shower head by soaking in vinegar every so often.

Mira sell a shower head that claims to 'fight scale'. I don't know how, or whether, it works.

I suggest buying another identical shower. When yours plays up - swap the showers over and that gives you time to sort the scaled up one.
Descaler into the heating canister is usually what is required- on the one I had I had to remove the canister to do this.

Using this method I kept ours going for -10years, lasted about 2 years each time. I’m sure it would still work but I have decommissioned this shower now that we have an unvented cylinder.

My water is 220ppm. I installed a Mira shower and followed Chuck's approach. The shower is now over 6 years old (don't have the receipt to hand) and has been in use ever since by varying numbers of people. Keep meaning to try descaling the canister but am currently abroad. The shower is still being used.

Reply to Hard water filter for shower in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that heats on controlled load over night. The large tank is in roof space of 60s built villa unit. Every few mornings, no hot water will come out of...
Replies
Views
Hello! Im Martyn Im new here and have joined for some advice on a couple of things. Ive got an issue with a Mira mixer shower that has increasingly become harder to operate. The shower was installed before I moved into the house. Basically what happens is that I turn the shower on so there's...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
A
Hi all - hoping to get some advice here on a plumbing issue in our house. When we are showering / filling the bath and another appliance draws water (toilet cistern filling after flushing, tap being turned on or washing machine filling etc), the water pressure / flow to the other appliance...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock