Search the forum,

Discuss Hard water area building regulations softener in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

I live in a hard water area (250ppm+) and have read that my boiler and megaflo should have water softeners as part of building regs. Can someone confirm if that is the case and that a Fernox TF1 magnetic filter won't do that? Also if my system boiler and megaflo cylinder should have had a softener, what can I do about it now to repair any damage?

Thanks all.

Nick

1. There is no regulation that I'm aware of that requires water softeners.
2. Some (most) combi boiler manufacturers insist on an inline type water conditioner on the cold side of the domestic hot supply. These are relatively cheap, require no maintenance and are, in my opinion, of doubtful value. Many manufacturers consider their guarantee invalid if the water is supplied via an ion exchange (salt filled) type water softener.
3. Having an unvented cylinder it is unlikely, although possible, that you have a combi boiler. As the water in the boiler, central heating and hot water primary circuits never really changes, there's no point softening it.
4. There is no need, and from memory no requirement, to supply a MegaFlow with softened water.

Despite the above, if you have the room and budget for it, a "proper" (ion exchange) type whole house water softener pretty much eliminates limescale throughout the hot and cold water system (not the kitchen, where the cold must be direct from the mains) and is very worthwhile.

Reply to Hard water area building regulations softener in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock