Search the forum,

Discuss Hair line crack in soil pipe under floor. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey. So I’m after the best way too repair this.
BCCA1E38-AABE-494C-9B7C-40AFD486B5BC.jpeg

So here’s the set up.
soil pipe internal drops down a boxing into a black connector at ground level right at floor boards which then drops into this orange pipe.The void under the floor is maybe enough I could lay down in there then this drop is about 4ft into I presume a sewer pipe.
The crack leaks when I run any water down there changing the pipe will be difficult as I’d have to take the weight of the rest of the soil pipe which goes too the roof and try fit a new one in place, on the other hand getting down the full length of the crack with done kind of repair isn’t that easy either.
I really don’t want too damage the boxing I’ve only just repaired it unfortunately for me I didn’t have the carpets up too see the wet patch.
Mum pretty decent at diy recently fit a wetroom so I wanna do this myself just after sone tips.
With electrical conduit I’ve often sleeved then glued it but the crack is the full length of the pipe including into the connection at the top, and I presume the bottom.

Ye decided that yesterday. How would you hold the rest of the pipe up after you cut away the bottom.
[automerge]1582612812[/automerge]
Also. Where it connects too the black soil there’s some kind of coupler it’s black and maybe 80mm deep, there is a join facing downward which the orange goes into then black in the top. I guess these are push fit but isn’t a join facing down a bad idea? Every other soil join is facing up.

Last edited:
I'm all for people having a go but cutting soil pipe is always very dirty and can be very dangerous. I would advise getting a plumber in if you've not done it before. Esp if you're not sure how to support it

i prefer to do stuff myself for 2 reasons
I know I’ll do it neat with no damage
I’m only asking for info how other people do it. I’ll figure it out, I’m not some white coloured desk surfer I’m a tradie.

I’ve got more floor up pipe seems to be clay or ceramic or something other than plastic. When I was in oz I watched plumbers gobbo ceramic up, is that done here?

Pal,
That's a major repair!!!
As for protecting your boxing and so forth - no chance.
There may be more damage to repair than you expect.

Get someone competent in, let them do their works and repair the damage caused by the repair.

FCE749EF-DA14-4565-89F7-C630A4950361.jpeg
3FE82A6D-49DE-4A02-8510-AB7AE9C7D9EC.jpeg
35945BCE-5C6B-40F9-BC27-45A38824B862.jpeg

Ok again I would like to do this myself, that’s why I’m here.
from the pictures. Couldn’t I just break the clay pipe pull it from the bottom then out of the top, lose that coupling and replace it with a plastic pipe with the flange on the top so my black pipe fits into that. Everything is below the boxing so I’ve no idea why that would need to get cut out.

Attachments

• 460CCCC8-E28C-4A37-A5FA-201032C44C19.jpeg
    460CCCC8-E28C-4A37-A5FA-201032C44C19.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 4
Hey. So I’m after the best way too repair this. You don’t say and it’s not clear to me what the naughty section of soil is made of and is the crack that long vertical line Centralheatking
View attachment 42678
So here’s the set up.
soil pipe internal drops down a boxing into a black connector at ground level right at floor boards which then drops into this orange pipe.The void under the floor is maybe enough I could lay down in there then this drop is about 4ft into I presume a sewer pipe.
The crack leaks when I run any water down there changing the pipe will be difficult as I’d have to take the weight of the rest of the soil pipe which goes too the roof and try fit a new one in place, on the other hand getting down the full length of the crack with done kind of repair isn’t that easy either.
I really don’t want too damage the boxing I’ve only just repaired it unfortunately for me I didn’t have the carpets up too see the wet patch.
Mum pretty decent at diy recently fit a wetroom so I wanna do this myself just after sone tips.
With electrical conduit I’ve often sleeved then glued it but the crack is the full length of the pipe including into the connection at the top, and I presume the bottom.
Pal,
That's a major repair!!!
As for protecting your boxing and so forth - no chance.
There may be more damage to repair than you expect.

Get someone competent in, let them do their works and repair the damage caused by the repair.
Now I can see the extent of the problem. I would try your insurance first it will be way past your excess.
Practically and I have done loads of drains over the years. The cracked section is beyond repair especially as its clay, so no bodge & fix. Remove the section ..just smash it out, have a length of suitable dia red or black plastic on hand. Maybe replace the lowest connector as that’s best. Then have a think. I would make a straight slip coupling for the top slide it with fairy liquid onto the new peice after it’s inserted into the lower connector. Have another think at least twice Then cut the new pipe it to the correct length with a 10mm gap get rid of plastic scarf more fairy liquid and with help push your slip coupling up and engage with the upper pipe equally. You may need to file the upper all the way round into a v shape to get them to mate. Don’t forget to tape of all bogs, showers and sinks
Otherwise you will get covered in crap etc. This is really for experienced fellas Centralheatking

If you need to support the pipe higher up from your repair, I drill a 7mm hole in the wall either side of the pipe (or screw into wood if that's what's there) and put a brown plug in. Use metal strap band to strap the pipe to the wall. Not so tight you start bending or deforming it, just enough to hold it tight and stop it dropping. Do as many of these as you feel necessary on the vertical to hold the weight of the pipe.

I’ve had a few quotes over the phone from pictures they quote 2 hours plus gear which I’m quite happy to pay I’m just worried they say 2 hours then they are still there 6 hours later with excuses and I’ve got holes all up my boxing work because to be honest, I could defiantly fix it if I made holes.
thanks for any replies here it’s really frustrating seeing this after I’ve practically finished the house and even more frustrating knowing if it was outside I could fix it myself very easily.

2 hours sounds about right.?

Smash out the earthenware pipe, don't forget to fish out the broken shards that are going to fall into the below ground drain.
Install supports on the pipe that goes up so the pipe is held in place and doesn't drop.
Get into a space that looks about 300mm square and install a new pipe between 2 fixed points, that requires a pipe length @ 150mm longer than the distance between the fixed points.

You may be able to achieve that with 2 slip couplings and some pipe.

Make sure the seals are good and won't leak in the future.

Come to think of it - probably only an hours work.
The quotes you got were probably for 2 plumbers for an hour.

*In reality, I would only do this job cost plus.
If I had to quote the job, I would allow 8 hours - 4 hours for 2 blokes.

216 all in, thought that was better than me doing it, although I am worried about them getting in that hole its going to be tight, ive been under floors this tight running cable but im quite slim, but I explained it too them and they saw the pictures so will see I guess.

216 all in, thought that was better than me doing it, although I am worried about them getting in that hole its going to be tight, ive been under floors this tight running cable but im quite slim, but I explained it too them and they saw the pictures so will see I guess.

Sounds good to me on price!

What a nightmare this has been.
So the company who I won’t shame yet came out, they wouldn’t get under the floor so he pushed the bottom collar on the plastic then pushed it on from above, well it didn’t work it leaked way worse, I got them back 2 guys turn up neither of them go under floor, they try push it on with a crowbar, didn’t work.
they said if it leaks again you’ll need to cut joists out, Ye right.
so because I was in a rush I got under the floor, Ye it was tight butnot that bad.
turns out the bottom collar had fallen apart the seal clip was hanging off, so I fixed it, still leaked. Wtf.
turns out the drop kick had taken a 11 degree bend off the top end when he fitted the slip joiner, well there’s a reason for a bend or why have it on, that reason? Clay pipe isn’t straight so as soon as you put the top on it pulls away the seal at the bottom.
so today I drive out and get a Flexi adapter instead, go back under the floor and fix it.

now I’m trying to get my money back from that company, let’s see how that goes but I hope they don’t think I’ll just give up cos I’m like a dog with a bone over money haha.
And a quick plumbers question to finish, because the drop kick cut the plastic pipe short, although the slip ring gets both pipes there is a big gap inbetween them, I presume this will be fine?
Thanks for the help on here because in the end I fixed it.

5B47DFC5-FF4F-4723-A589-DCE8DC0E6283.jpeg
You can’t really see it. But it’s dry as a bone down there now. Has Flexi at top and bottom. Not sure why I’d need 2 slip couplings. It has bottom clay too plastic adapter with screw clips on both sides and at the top is the same but plastic too plastic, the pipe could have done with bring 20mm longer but it’s all gripped and tight no water at all. I pulled the bottom adapter up slightly like people said herefor expansion, but I can’t see it moving with those pipe clips on.
mall in all I’m glad it’s done I’ve just got to get my money back.

View attachment 42780You can’t really see it. But it’s dry as a bone down there now. Has Flexi at top and bottom. Not sure why I’d need 2 slip couplings. It has bottom clay too plastic adapter with screw clips on both sides and at the top is the same but plastic too plastic, the pipe could have done with bring 20mm longer but it’s all gripped and tight no water at all. I pulled the bottom adapter up slightly like people said herefor expansion, but I can’t see it moving with those pipe clips on.
mall in all I’m glad it’s done I’ve just got to get my money back.
Look mate if it’s bone dry however you have fixed it it matters not you have done it. Well Done. Just keep an eye on it for a while. Also you have learned one of the rules of drains and plumbing not all jobs are standard and it’s down to sheer persistence to get it done, experienced qualified or diy Let us know how it all pans out
Centralheatking

Reply to Hair line crack in soil pipe under floor. in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock