Search the forum,

Discuss Gurgling Sink with New Washing Machine in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

Had to replace our integrated washing over the weekend, almost a straight swap except for hinge position on cupboard door (nightmare!).

Now when the washing machine is draining we are getting a gurgling sound from the sink. The washing machine is slightly bigger so maybe have a stronger drain pump on it but apart from that everything else is set-up exactly as before. This was never an issue in the past.

The gurgling noise is quite loud and annoying.

I've attached some photos of the current set-up. Anything obviously wrong with this?

I've already tried putting the plug in the sinks and that does seem to quieten the noise somewhat but certainly not stopping it.
The trap is clear. The sink drains fine as well. never been any indication of a blockage. Must be related to the washing machine swap.

Attachments

• IMG_20210303_110637.jpg
    IMG_20210303_110637.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20210303_110649.jpg
    IMG_20210303_110649.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210303_110656.jpg
    IMG_20210303_110656.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20210303_110725.jpg
    IMG_20210303_110725.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi thanks for the quick reply. I did have a suspicion that would be way to go about it.

Something like this not worth trying then?
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/washi...it/75883#product_additional_details_container

I'm going to stick my neck out and say I can't see any serious fault with what you have.

There appears to be a 40ish mm (1.5" nominal bore) waste pipe from the end of the flexible hose onwards. Serving two sinks and the machine but unless you are draining them all at once, it shouldn't matter - I'm wondering whether the problem is the exact position of where the hose meets the waste pipe and whether this is having a venturi effect rather than there actually being a problem with the waste being undersized.

Hi Ric,

Yeah the waste serves two sinks, one normal size, one tiny, washing machine and dishwasher (which has never been used)

This set-up was working fine with old washing machine but not the new one.

Are you suggesting i need to get the hose more vertical on entry into the waste?

Hi Ric,

Yeah the waste serves two sinks, one normal size, one tiny, washing machine and dishwasher (which has never been used)

This set-up was working fine with old washing machine but not the new one.

Are you suggesting i need to get the hose more vertical on entry into the waste?
No I'm not. I'm genuinely confused. You have a dishwasher too, I think? So which of those flexible drain hoses is the new washing machine?

Ta. I'm going to take a step back now and see what others say because I can't really offer a solution when I myself cannot see an obvious problem.

Personally I prefer the traditional standpipe arrangement for washing machines (for ease of removal and replacement of washing machines), but I don't think fitting a standpipe would improve your situation.

Ta. I'm going to take a step back now and see what others say because I can't really offer a solution when I myself cannot see an obvious problem.

Personally I prefer the traditional standpipe arrangement for washing machines (for ease of removal and replacement of washing machines), but I don't think fitting a standpipe would improve your situation.

No worries, appreciate the help. Although not a plumber I don't feel like there is anything majoring wrong.
I've moved around the drain hose a bit, will see if that helps next time machine is running. It feels to me like I've created a vacuum/pocket when installing the new machine. might pull out and start again.

I think the standpipe would work by bypassing all the other pipes but will say again I'm not a plumber!

Try a good sink plunger and lots of elbow grease maybe partial blockage downstream.

I've taken out all the pipes accessable in the cupboard and cleaned them up tonight, they weren't too bad no sign of a blockage anyway.

Would it still be worth plunging? Would The plunger be effective much further down the pipe? Water is draining quickly from the sinks as they always have. This has only become an issue since installing new washing machine at the weekend.

Would a anti-syphon trap be worth trying?

Have you tried swapping them over eg wm in the top one dw in the bottom / maybe try the washing machine into a bucket ?

Plunger , I would say give it a go. Partial blockage or restriction or poor fall somewhere on the pipe my guess.
The w/m puts out a staggering amount of bubbly water very quickly and forcefully, much more than anything else - so it will usually be first to show a restriction.
As ric says, a bit of a headscratcher.
Probably not a syphon trap issue

I would say give it a go. Partial blockage or restriction or poor fall somewhere on the pipe my guess.
The w/m pus out a staggering amount of bubbly water very quickly and forcefully, much more than anything else - so it will usually be first to show a restriction.
As ric says, a bit of a headscratcher.
Probably not a syphon trap issue
Thank you.... I'll get a plunger ordered.

Have you tried swapping them over eg wm in the top one dw in the bottom / maybe try the washing machine into a bucket ?
That did cross my mind but I wasn't sure how much water the washing machine will chuck out? I.e how big a bucket I will need!
Again switching the DW and WM drains also crept into my mind but the DW spigot inlet is much smaller diameter, would only make things worse?

Should be around 5 l but best to have two buckets as that depends on what washing machine you have

they both use the same spigot type so all you need to do is undo the jubilee clip and swap them over to test

Should be around 5 l but best to have two buckets as that depends on what washing machine you have

they both use the same spigot type so all you need to do is undo the jubilee clip and swap them over to test
Thanks alot I'll give both ago.

By emptying the wm into buckets what could that help identify?

If I switch them over and it solves the issue what would that mean was the problem? Trying to understand how that could be a possibile solution, when effectively it's the same amount of water through the same spigot through the same trap etc etc. I cleaned both spigots tonight, not excessively dirty, nothing unusual. Not ran washing machine yet.

Sorry for the 20 questions but just trying to understand more.

Will tell you if the problem is with your setup or washing machine eg still gurgles when into buckets

Height of the water in relation to the trap

Every household needs a sink plunger (or 2). There's a technique as well. Check YouTube. Go round all the sinks, baths, basins and showers and give them a little "love".
So update time...

This morning I ran a cycle and emptied into buckets just to check it wasn't the machine as advised in this thread. No noise and everything fine. However I can now appreciate the volume of water the machine uses. It filled a standard builders bucket 3 times over in a 45 min cycle. It filled the bucket each time within 20 secs so can appreciate that volume of water going through the trap etc etc.

I then switched the Dishwasher and WM hoses, and that actually caused more noise not just a gurgling but also you could hear the running water very clearly. The DW spigot is further away from the trap, closer to the sink.

So I've Amazon primed a plunger today and will be going around the house tomorrow plunging everything. Fingers crossed for that. I'm starting to think the only option is to have the WM on its own waste however in this new build house everything is hidden, there are no visible drain covers etc so I think we be a more difficult and expensive job.

Agree it’s water noise eg swirling around and gurgling around the trap tbh I don’t think you will totally get rid of the noise unless you put it on it’s own trap

Plunging everything has helped quiet the noise a little to a point where if the plug is in the sink the gurgling noise is barely audible. A partial success. Happy to leave it like this for now.

There was nothing visible coming up when plunging which was a little disappointing but it certainly has had some effect at least.

Reply to Gurgling Sink with New Washing Machine in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock