Search the forum,

Discuss Gurgling shower drain in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I have a new build property with 2 en-suites with showers. After running the shower for a short or long time and turning off, the shower drain starts to gurgle for around 20 to 30 seconds. Both shower drains go to a soil stack with an AAV in the loft. Removing the AAV does not change the problem, neither does opening the outside rodding point cover. Water flow is good. WC flush is OK. Same problem on both showers. Shower drain pipes are probably accessible under the shower trays.
Drain flow wis good
Any ideas would be welcome.

Hi, I have a new build property with 2 en-suites with showers. After running the shower for a short or long time and turning off, the shower drain starts to gurgle for around 20 to 30 seconds. Both shower drains go to a soil stack with an AAV in the loft. Removing the AAV does not change the problem, neither does opening the outside rodding point cover. Water flow is good. WC flush is OK. Same problem on both showers. Shower drain pipes are probably accessible under the shower trays.
Drain flow wis good
Any ideas would be welcome.
Also see my other topic, Basins with push button wastes not emptying - https://www.plumbersforums.net/threads/basins-with-push-button-wastes-not-emptying.122893/
Same en- suites

Basin waste pipe is probably teed into shower waste pipe under floor.
There may be a backfall to the shower trap from the basin, creating a siphon effect between basin and shower. Pushing the click clak plug adds a bit of suction and gets the siphon to empty the pipe.
Unless you want to access the pipes under the floor to rectify the fall, your only hope is to replace the basin traps with air admittance traps and hope for the best!

Thanks Julie. I think you are right. I don’t particularly want the floor up or the ceiling down underneath.
Are there air admittance valves that ca be fitted inline in the horizontal drain pipe under the shower tray?

You could have a look at these but Im honestly not sure whether they can be installed below the flood level, you would have to confirm with McAlpine.

Personally I would try the basin traps first its easier!

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/mcalpine-anti-syphon-bottle-trap-white-32mm/37314?_requestid=241384

Bet there's a waterless trap after the shower trap. It's not a Redrow house by any chance?
No not a Redrow house but the plumber that installed the plumbing was not good. after thhe shower trap there is a length of drain pipe that disappears under the floor. As far I can ascertain there are 2 basins and 2 showers all teed together before going to the soil stack. That has an AAV on it in the loft. I have an endoscope but it’s difficult to find anywhere to get it under the floor.

I managed to get an endoscope down one of the 32mm basin drains by removing the basin trap. First the drain pipe is pretty disgusting with black sludge from, I assume, soap etc. I live in a hard water area so I don’t know if that makes it worse. So, going down the drain it’s difficult to see which way the pipe goes as I can’t tell what the orientation of the camera is. The endoscope is not an expensive one and has a short focal length so not a lot in focus at the same time. Anyway, going down below the floor in hits pooled water, which I assume is caused by a sag in the pipe work, or possibly a partial blockage further on. What can be used down the vertical basin drain pipe to rod the pipe work to the stack? A snake?

There are no rodding points on the 2 en-suite drainage pipes. The only entry points are the basin drains after removing the traps. The only way I can see to fix this pipe sag (or belly), if that is the problem, without lifting the tiled floor or removing a section of ceiling below is to install new surface drain pipes in the en-suites and drop the pipe into the 110 mm pipe through the floor at one point. Maybe a 50mm pipe with the 2 showers and 2 basins teed into it.?

Any other ideas would be welcome

I managed to get an endoscope down one of the 32mm basin drains by removing the basin trap. First the drain pipe is pretty disgusting with black sludge from, I assume, soap etc. I live in a hard water area so I don’t know if that makes it worse. So, going down the drain it’s difficult to see which way the pipe goes as I can’t tell what the orientation of the camera is. The endoscope is not an expensive one and has a short focal length so not a lot in focus at the same time. Anyway, going down below the floor in hits pooled water, which I assume is caused by a sag in the pipe work, or possibly a partial blockage further on. What can be used down the vertical basin drain pipe to rod the pipe work to the stack? A snake?

There are no rodding points on the 2 en-suite drainage pipes. The only entry points are the basin drains after removing the traps. The only way I can see to fix this pipe sag (or belly), if that is the problem, without lifting the tiled floor or removing a section of ceiling below is to install new surface drain pipes in the en-suites and drop the pipe into the 110 mm pipe through the floor at one point. Maybe a 50mm pipe with the 2 showers and 2 basins teed into it.?

Any other ideas would be welcome
But then you would still have to get enough fall on that new pipe, then box it all in. Then cap off the old pipes somewhere.

Are there any external walls that you could just send a new pipe out of?

The black stuff is general gunge not helped by it being constantly wet due to pooled water. You could try a flexible snake but in the long run you need to fix the basic problem.

If it was my house I would be taking the floor up, if only to see what other delights await.......

The builders plumbers are being awkward as they probably know they need to take the floor up, so I am trying to gather as much information as possible to have a discussion with them.
Question, is there an air admittance valve that can be installed in the horizontal pipe from the shower trap under the tray to where it goes down under the floor. The pipe is about 1400mm long.
Thanks

The builders plumbers are being awkward as they probably know they need to take the floor up, so I am trying to gather as much information as possible to have a discussion with them.
Question, is there an air admittance valve that can be installed in the horizontal pipe from the shower trap under the tray to where it goes down under the floor. The pipe is about 1400mm long.
Thanks
It’s a tiled floor by the way so a big job to take up.

Reply to Gurgling shower drain in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock