Search the forum,

Discuss Gurgling shower drain SOS help in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone I live in a modern block of flats in London and I’m on one of the lower floors.

My shower has been gurgling on and off and when this happens some water would come up and the drain would stop draining water.

I have had 5+ plumbers to come to review this problem and also asked the building to clean the main stack pipe. The plumbers have told me that there is no blockage in my flat and last time I used a snake rod to clean from the only access point which is the shower tray and he told me that there is no major clog.

I am just wondering what the problem is because I cannot seem to find a solution and I would really like your input. If this is something that you have dealt with in the past please let me know. I am based in East London and it would be good to know anyone capable of visiting and helping me resolve this headache .

My guess would be there's a partial blockage underground outside and when flats above drop water it's backing up and venting into your flat.

This needs sorting urgently, probably by building management, as it could develop into a more serious problem within your flat.
A plumber with a snake rod is not going to find it, it needs a drains company with a jetter and camera.
The building management should be organising and paying for the work as it's common to many flats.

My guess would be there's a partial blockage underground outside and when flats above drop water it's backing up and venting into your flat.

This needs sorting urgently, probably by building management, as it could develop into a more serious problem within your flat.
A plumber with a snake rod is not going to find it, it needs a drains company with a jetter and camera.
The building management should be organising and paying for the work as it's common to many flats.
It’s a building with 30 floors and they said they had a jetter to come and clean the place but all looks clean from down in the basement.

Plumbing on a 30 story building is completely different to a domestic 2 story dwelling.
You need relief vents of the sewer stack that go from floor to floor, all the way through the building.

If someone has connected a fixture into one of the relief vents instead of into the stack, then issue like yours will arise.

If there is an underground blockage, I doubt you would be the only one to know.
If someone has altered the drainage an any of the apartments above of below you and connected into a relief vent, your problem will persist.

Find out whether or not anyone has done some renovations in the building or altered anything within the sewer system.

Currently investigating a 14 story building in Melbourne.
Offices and apartments.
2 residences have been recently renovated and plumbing issues have arisen - like yours.
The building hasn't has like issues since it was built 10 years ago.

It’s a building with 30 floors and they said they had a jetter to come and clean the place but all looks clean from down in the basement.
Adding some photos of the shower waste. It’s this metallic box( pardon my lack of vocab). One plumber came and took it off once and used the snake to make sure there’s no blockage. I just took it off today and it somehow stopped gurgling.

So far it’s noisier and there’s smell coming from the pipes. Can someone tell me the type of shower waste trap this is? If it’s possible to resolve the issue by replacing this unit?

Attachments

• 5BADB812-05C0-44F6-AADC-ED3085479430.jpeg
    5BADB812-05C0-44F6-AADC-ED3085479430.jpeg
    481.7 KB · Views: 12
  • DFA8B68C-28CB-4AB7-BA15-D46C45C9BE83.jpeg
    DFA8B68C-28CB-4AB7-BA15-D46C45C9BE83.jpeg
    581.2 KB · Views: 11
  • A512C264-2422-4E1D-9E81-899936AF7605.jpeg
    A512C264-2422-4E1D-9E81-899936AF7605.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 41656330-1352-4AE6-BF72-BD0258BF7F8B.jpeg
    41656330-1352-4AE6-BF72-BD0258BF7F8B.jpeg
    450.8 KB · Views: 12

Reply to Gurgling shower drain SOS help in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock