Search the forum,

Discuss Gurgling from badly designed discharge pipe. Any way to lessen problems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any ideas as to what can be done to reduce the impact of induced syphonage in this situation?

One badly designed (too long) 40mm wastepipe is used for the bath, basin and kitchen-sink. Inevitably there is a good deal of gurgling when, say, the kitchen sink is drained as it ‘pulls’ noticeably on the bath-trap. I have tried fitting
this type of trap to the bath but it makes negligible difference. Would fitting a P-trap with an anti-syphon attachment be worthwhile? I also have a 40mm AAV – maybe I should install that instead?

Flat plan.png

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:
Put an anti-vac trap on the kitchen sink. You want to break the vacuum before it forms ideally...

Thanks for the advice. Actually adding an AAV here is not going to be straightforward as the twin sink has its own pipework as its OD is not compatible with 40mm. It looks like I am going to have to rerun quite a lot of this if I am to get the AAV on the section between the sinks.

IMG_4288.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gurgling from badly designed discharge pipe. Any way to lessen problems? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. DIY guy here, not a plumber of any experience. I would be grateful for constructive critique of the drainage design presented by this diagram, accompanied by the following notes and questions: 1) On the left is dishwasher, on the right is washing machine. Purple lines represent standard...
Replies
Views
Hi, For quite some time now I've been getting quite bad sewage type smells after using my washing machine. I also get water coming up through the kitchen sink when the washing machine drains along with the bad smell. I've read that where the washing machine waste pipe joins the main pipe under...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I moved into a house where the kitchen was moved from an upper floor to the ground floor, at the back of the house, so there was no existing soil pipe near to the kitchen double sink and dishwasher. In their infinite wisdom, the plumbers who set this up ran a very long length of waste...
Replies
Views
Aquarius
A
Hi, Need some advice about a soil pipe in 1966ish built ex-mod property. We have suspected but not be able to prove that since some heavy vibration from Pilling for a school across the road was done that our soil pipe has cracked, we are 99% sure it's cast iron from what neighbours have said...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, i need a bit of advice, i live in Tasmania, we bought a brand new townhouse that has a tiny internal laundry in a closet in the passage opposite the bathroom. It has a very small wash basin in one corner, the hot water cylinder is on the other end, but the space between these is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock