Search the forum,

Discuss Guess what this is? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all, just found a small drip on a pipe from our open fire back boiler. There is a oil fired utility boiler and an immersion heater. There are 4 pipes coming from the back boiler and the photo show one of these with a fitting which looks like it came out of the ark. Can any one tell me what it should do and suggest a modern replacement. ( please see attached photo). many thanks, Adrian
boiler fitting.jpg

Looks like an old air vent to bleed the air out of the system, you could either replace the washer or replace the air vent with - Air vent cap

Either that or an ancient pressure relief valve. If so there will be (or would have been!) a spring loaded doodad in there to keep it closed unless there is an overpressure situation. I believe the screw threaded top end was there to adjust the tension and therefore the pressure at which it will discharge.

I think it looks a lot better this way up;

boiler fitting.jpg

I'd vote for Pressure relief if the screw in the top is locked with a nut.
A direct replacement is probably going to be hard to find, it may need a slight addition to the pipework to get a modern one in

I think it looks a lot better this way up;

View attachment 40279

I'd vote for Pressure relief if the screw in the top is locked with a nut.
A direct replacement is probably going to be hard to find, it may need a slight addition to the pipework to get a modern one in

Are they even still available? I haven't looked, but I would expect any modern PRV to be expected to terminate outside. I do not do Oil, but gas boilers that had these fitted also had an Vent pipe and a Cold Feed, both of which render a PRV redundant - so they would never be replaced. Is this not the case for Oil (serious question)

Yes still available bes have stock

But depending on the system change for an manual air vent or prv

Many thanks to everybody who replied, I have a little more data, if it helps. In the roof space are 2 water tanks, a small one which supplies the rads, boiler and heating coil in the immersion tank. This tank has 2 vents returning to tank, the other tank is larger and supplies the immersion tank with water to heat for the taps, this tank has only one vent. when using the open fire with the back boiler on draw, the water will boil in the back boiler after a couple of hours and the steam can be heard venting in to the tank, So I wonder whether the valve is letting hot water/steam back to the tank, or if the valve activated, would steam come out of the ring of holes? Would it need a pressure valve if open vented to the tank? Really not looking forward to touching anything without a plan. When using the back boiler, it heats the water cylinder by convection current.

It won't be allowing steam/water to go up the vent, that will be an open path and should have no devices or valves impeding that at all. Water in such a system usually has two places to expand, up the open vent and also back up the cold feed to the header tank. The pressure relief valve (the consensus seems to be that's what it is) will be there for the unlikely but potentially catastrophic event that those two expansion pathways are blocked or otherwise closed off. People have been known to do crazy things like not understand why the vent is discharging steam or water and capped the vent off. If they do that there is only one path for expansion - the cold feed. If someone then closes the valve on the cold feed you've got yourself a bomb.

That's where the spring-loaded Pressure Relief valve comes in. It a belt and braces kind of deal.

Reply to Guess what this is? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock