Search the forum,

Discuss Grundfos UPS2 15-50/60 circulating pump problem in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I'm new to this forum so I hope I've posted this in the right place. I installed a Grundfos UPS2 15-50/60 (part number 98334549) circulating pump into my oil fired central heating system 4 years ago. Recently on the boiler firing up the pump has not started, there is an intermittent ticking sound as though the pump is trying to start but can't. After about 10 to 15 minutes the pump will start and continues to run until the system turns off. This is currently not causing me any issues, other than worrying that there is something waiting to happen. My thoughts are that it may be the run capacitor not having enough umph to start the motor turning but I'm not sure why the temperature of the pump (as this seems to be a factor) results in the pump then running. Having looked into the top of the control box on top of the pump I cannot readily see the capacitor (on the Grundfos pump I replaced the capacitor was readily visible and easily removed/replaced) and I was wondering if anyone on this forum had any advice on how to replace the run capacitor in this particular model. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I think these type of (smart) pump motors may not have a capacitor as they are actually a brushless DC motor.
If you isolate the pump electrically and shut the two isolation valves you should be able to then carefully remove the pump head & impeller and it may then only require a good clean up.

sounds like the capacitor is weak / dead

Does sound like a capacitor fault. They can be tested a couple of ways, either with a multimeter set to test capacitance or any multimeter set to read resistance. Any doubts about locating the cap then contact Grunfos, although its got to be there in the control assembly.

Thanks for all the replies. Water is clean enough so I don't think it is that, as I said I think the problem is the capacitor but don't know how to get to it in this particular pump. Tried contacting Grundfos but they were no help. Anyone out there with any suggestions as to how to locate it (if it exists!!!), need to find it before I can test it!

There was an issue on a pump manufactured around that time. A few I came across had a component that didn't like energy spikes. If you are at the end of the 'grid' or have old equipment which could interfere with the supply to the pump, it may be that. Can't say for certain but it sounds like it.

I think that pump is a DC Permanent Magnet so does not have / need a capacitor to start. Having said that, if you have removed the cover and cannot see a capacitor - go no further. If it has a capacitor it will be easily accessible.

If its the model I think it is then a bit ambiguous re venting so perhaps its detecting "air" on occasions?

Startup
The pump must not be started until the system has
been filled with liquid and vented. Furthermore, the
required minimum inlet pressure must be available at
the pump inlet. The system cannot be vented through
the pump.
The pump is self-venting and does not require venting
before startup.

In speed III, the pump is set to run on the maximum curve under all operating conditions. See fig. 14.
Quick venting of the pump can be obtained by setting the pump to speed III for a short period.

Thanks for all the replies, problem has now been solved by replacing the control box that sits on top of the pump (replaced with one from another Grunfos UPS2 pump). The pump now starts without any issues straight from fire up. Replacing the control box is a very straight forward and simple job. Once the top black cover is removed there are 2 screws which locate the control box to the pump. Once these are removed the control box just pulls off, it connects to the pump via a plug. Replacing is simply a reverse of the above. Only problem now is locating a replacement control box for the pump I canniballised. The Grundfos part number is 98662219. I can't find any reference to this part anywere on the internet or in the Grundfos web site. Anyone any suggestions where I might get a replacement other than from another pump?

You won’t they don’t sell it separately

Had similar problem ups2 pump ticking/pulsing and not starting. Then after a while (12 mins at the last attempt) it would start and run normally. Meanwhile the boiler (WB FS30cdi) would run, overheat and cut out. This would repeat until the pump started.
Solution:Fitted a new pump,-ups3. Operation now normal. It would appear that the old pump was 11years old so it didn't owe me anything.
HTH.

Had similar problem ups2 pump ticking/pulsing and not starting. Then after a while (12 mins at the last attempt) it would start and run normally. Meanwhile the boiler (WB FS30cdi) would run, overheat and cut out. This would repeat until the pump started.
Solution:Fitted a new pump,-ups3. Operation now normal. It would appear that the old pump was 11years old so it didn't owe me anything.
HTH.

Capacitor at fault likely

Reply to Grundfos UPS2 15-50/60 circulating pump problem in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock