Search the forum,

Discuss grundfos UPS 3 phase pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

beesley121

Hi guys,

does anyone know how i can test wether this pump is working or not?? i have a pump and im sure its not working as i cant feel it rotating. Ive opened up the bleed screw and it only dripped a little then stopped. I even took it completely out and would have thought water would have gushed out when the water in under 1.5 bar of pressure but it didnt. hardly got a drop

could it just be the terminal box with the speed controller in thats gone?? how do i test this?? or is it the motor its self?? how do i test this??

lso guys, should i need new motor, does the terminal box come with it?? or can you buy the terminl box seperate as im thing it may be just the terminal box and its workings that have gone.

any help appreciated guys

I even took it completely out and would have thought water would have gushed out when the water in under 1.5 bar of pressure but it didnt. hardly got a drop
did you turn the gate valves off,please elaborate

I'm as confused as gas man and would also like to help.
Where is the pump, is it inside the boiler or airing cupboard?
Have you taken the head off or completely removed the pump?
And as gas man asked, have you touched the isolation valves?

I even took it completely out and would have thought water would have gushed out when the water in under 1.5 bar of pressure but it didnt. hardly got a drop
did you turn the gate valves off,please elaborate

hi, thanx for the replies guys.

the gate valves have not been touched. this is a commerical pump. the problem we are having is that we seem to be only getting CH hot water on one side of the rads so its as if the rads are not returning to the boiler. the pump is a grundfos ups 65-180

if theres no water in there you either have a tank thats run dry,or a valve off some where

I would like to assume that you competent to work in commercial premises

On 3 Phase equipment exceeding 400v >?

are you talking to me or the op?i did not post that,asking the op a question

Ive seen those pumps in domestic premises, I know they dont last very long.

I would get a professional in, if the pump does need changing is not gonna be a cheap job anyway.

ok so we're all agreed, don't stick your tongue on the terminals to see if it's got power lol.
The bit that I'm not getting is that you've taken it out, you've not touched the iso valves and you've not flooded the place. There may well be checkvalves on the flow but I'm baffled why the return's not drenched you, do you have any pics?

...p.s. just checked the price of a new pump, fifteen hundred odd plus vat, ouch!

He means he has taken the bleed screw completely out of the centre of the pump not removed the whole pump.

He means he has taken the bleed screw completely out of the centre of the pump not removed the whole pump.

correct!!

my family own an hotel so im just tryin to help them out really but as its nothing gas wise, im happy to have a go

pump is seized try to insert a large flat blade screwdriver and free it manually. You can get a neat tool from grunfoss that checks the rotation of the pump.

also to check the power to the pump get a non contact voltage tester. be aware that if you do change it 3 phase can be wired so the pump will rotate in the wrong direction.

if the pump is knackered you cab just change the head with or without the relay works out much cheaper and quiker to install.

coley

pump is seized try to insert a large flat blade screwdriver and free it manually. You can get a neat tool from grunfoss that checks the rotation of the pump.

also to check the power to the pump get a non contact voltage tester. be aware that if you do change it 3 phase can be wired so the pump will rotate in the wrong direction.

if the pump is knackered you cab just change the head with or without the relay works out much cheaper and quiker to install.

coley

thanx for the reply mate

i have checked it mate and it has not siezed. i managed to get a screwdriver in there and it spun fine so its either the relay/terminal box has gone or the motor

any idea how to test either of these?? and do u know were i can get a replacement as cheap as poss

thanx mate

Ive seen those pumps in domestic premises, I know they dont last very long.

I would get a professional in, if the pump does need changing is not gonna be a cheap job anyway.

Domestic premises and don`t last long this is a 3 phase circulator

what planet are you on ?????????

thanx for the reply mate

i have checked it mate and it has not siezed. i managed to get a screwdriver in there and it spun fine so its either the relay/terminal box has gone or the motor

any idea how to test either of these?? and do u know were i can get a replacement as cheap as poss

thanx mate

Hi presuming you know how to use a multi meter.

First make sure it is electrically isolated the disconnect the 3 phase conductors.

then using you multi meter on the ohms setting test between Phases 1+2 then 1+3 then 2+3 the reading should be very similar give or take 1-2 ohms

if this is not the case then check for voltage after you have re-connected the conductors i.e. 440 between phases and 230 between each phase and earth

Mis-read the pump type, thought it was a 65-80, which i do come across on domestic premises, and in my opinion do not last that long, and are expensive.

Just as well i didnt start giving him electrical advise over the intenet, he might get himself a shock.

Mis-read the pump type, thought it was a 65-80, which i do come across on domestic premises, and in my opinion do not last that long, and are expensive.

Just as well i didnt start giving him electrical advise over the intenet, he might get himself a shock.

That is what forums are about is it not giving advice

experience is gained not learn t by reading internet posts

Hi presuming you know how to use a multi meter.

First make sure it is electrically isolated the disconnect the 3 phase conductors.

then using you multi meter on the ohms setting test between Phases 1+2 then 1+3 then 2+3 the reading should be very similar give or take 1-2 ohms

if this is not the case then check for voltage after you have re-connected the conductors i.e. 440 between phases and 230 between each phase and earth

thanx for the info mate, its all sorted now

did test ech phase and found 2 of the 3 phases were down. The mcb were wired into somekind of protector and 2 lights on the front of them were red, 1 was green. this was replaced and hey presto, all working again. thanx again mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to grundfos UPS 3 phase pump in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock