Search the forum,

Discuss Grundfos Replacement UPS3 V Alpha 1 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

JS1

I want to replace the three 11 year old Grundfos UPS 15-60 130 pumps as a part of trying to reduce the electricity consumption of my heating/DHW system. The pumps circulate the water in i) the UFH, ii) the first floor rads and iii) the mains pressure DHW cylinder primary circuit. The Grundfos website suggests the UPS3 15-50/65 130 as the replacement with the ALPHA1 15-50/60 130 as an 'advanced' replacement. I've spoken with Grundfos Tech Support but didn't get an answer to my questions - 'what the difference between the two and given the higher price of the Alpha range what performance benefits can I expect given the intended use'?

Can anyone answer the questions please?

I understand that the Alpha 1 may have been replaced by the Alpha 3.
Many thanks

Martin

Attachments

• Boiler etc.jpg
    Boiler etc.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 14
They may use a tiny tiny bit of electric but 100% I would keep the one you have .
Many thanks for the response. I installed an Emporia Energy (electricity) Monitoring system towards the end of last year which revealed that the electricity consumption of the system which includes 3 Valiant Solar panels and controller during the period Nov 2021 - Feb 2022 is typically between 2kwh and 3.4Kwh per day which was quite a shock, its biggest single consumer of electricity in the house. I appreciate that the consumption is driven by the duration of use and set temperatures; the house is 4500 sq feet the heating is on in the morning and then evening with target temps of 20c. I put energy consumption meters in the feeds to the pumps and I guess as expected they typically draw 50W. @50W all three pump would need to run for 13 hours to consumer 2Kwh and they don't run for anywhere near that long so I am mystified about the total power consumption of the system?

They use 65w on speed 2

Ufh pump running constantly?

They use 65w on speed 2

Ufh pump running constantly?
Thanks for the response. Just looked at the programmer (Vaillant VRC630) the UFH has a total on time per day of 14.5 hrs but I'm assuming if the stats are all satisfied the pump won't be running? If it did run for that time (which I'm pretty sure it doesn't) 14.5hrs x 65W = 0.94kwh would be a big chunk of the total daily consumption; could a more modern pump reduce that significantly. With the existing pump even if just one of the 9 zones wasn't satisfied would it still draw the same amount of power? [This week I discovered that one of the UFH actuators wasn't fixed to the manifold so that zone never shut - not sure if this would be a part of the problem?]

Basically any time a zone is calling the pump will run

The ups3 is 60w so you would save 5w which tbh isn’t worth the hassle better off looking at maybe additional controls eg weather comp etc

I had a new boiler, cylinder and UPS3 15 50/65 pump fitted last year.

The plumbers left the pump on constant curve III, which according to the pump curves takes up to 60W. I changed to constant curve I which according to the pump curves takes up to 28W, saving about 32 W. I do not know how many hours my pump runs but assuming 3,000 hours/year, with electricity at 37.653 p/kWh from April, the saving could be about £36 per year or potentially £360 if the pump lasts 10 years.

The electricity consumed by the pump isn’t entirely wasted because it will contribute to heating although the price of electricity is about 5 times that of gas.

I have no idea what pump setting you would need. My boiler is 15 kW and needs only about 655 l/h for a 20 K ΔT. If you need a higher setting the savings will be less, if any, with the UPS3 15 50/65.

The Screwfix prices are £119.98 for the UPS3 15-50/65 and £131.49 for the ALPHA 1 15-50/60. According to the pump curves the ALPHA1 15-50/60 130 takes a maximum of 34 W compared to a maximum of 60 W for the UPS3. After 1,200 running hours the ALPHA1 could have saved the price difference of £11.51.

I doubt that the DHW cylinder pump running hours are sufficient to make upgrade worthwhile.

This is just my opinion.

Are all your lights energy saving / led js1 ?

If you're looking for savings I'd recommend dab pumps I have moved away from Grundfoss myself they are no what they once were details are below , other savings can be made from adding more controls insulating your property replacing light bulbs for LEDs. Kop

Attachments

• NEW-EVOSTA-2-3_TS_UK-VERSION_ENG.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
Basically any time a zone is calling the pump will run

The ups3 is 60w so you would save 5w which tbh isn’t worth the hassle better off looking at maybe additional controls eg weather comp etc
Many thanks for the response. Weather compensation was installed with the system from new 11 years ago and works well (I think) with the temp of the first floor rads giving a good indication of the outside temp in the morning.

I had a new boiler, cylinder and UPS3 15 50/65 pump fitted last year.

The plumbers left the pump on constant curve III, which according to the pump curves takes up to 60W. I changed to constant curve I which according to the pump curves takes up to 28W, saving about 32 W. I do not know how many hours my pump runs but assuming 3,000 hours/year, with electricity at 37.653 p/kWh from April, the saving could be about £36 per year or potentially £360 if the pump lasts 10 years.

The electricity consumed by the pump isn’t entirely wasted because it will contribute to heating although the price of electricity is about 5 times that of gas.

I have no idea what pump setting you would need. My boiler is 15 kW and needs only about 655 l/h for a 20 K ΔT. If you need a higher setting the savings will be less, if any, with the UPS3 15 50/65.

The Screwfix prices are £119.98 for the UPS3 15-50/65 and £131.49 for the ALPHA 1 15-50/60. According to the pump curves the ALPHA1 15-50/60 130 takes a maximum of 34 W compared to a maximum of 60 W for the UPS3. After 1,200 running hours the ALPHA1 could have saved the price difference of £11.51.

I doubt that the DHW cylinder pump running hours are sufficient to make upgrade worthwhile.

This is just my opinion.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. The info is all useful in developing a better understanding about how energy is consumed.

Can you improve your insulation?

Can you improve your insulation?
Thanks. Its a SIPS panel house with a SIPS roof so already very well insulated. We also have a MHRVS but I'm uncertain of the benefits that brings from an energy efficiency point of view.

I need to do a bit more head-scratching on the heating system as I'm still puzzled as to how it can routinely consumer circa 2.5-3.5Kwh per day (Nov - Feb).

If you're looking for savings I'd recommend dab pumps I have moved away from Grundfoss myself they are no what they once were details are below , other savings can be made from adding more controls insulating your property replacing light bulbs for LEDs. Kop
Hmm DAB is a Grundfos company......

Reply to Grundfos Replacement UPS3 V Alpha 1 in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock