Search the forum,

Discuss Grundfos Home Booster connected to drinking water supply? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

Amateur/DIYer here.

I have just moved into a 3rd floor flat and it has a more complicated plumbing set up than I'm used to. There is a Grundfos Home Booster installed, which seems to be working fine. However I have noticed that it seems to be switching on and pumping (fairly loud hum) when the kitchen tap is used, not just the shower etc.

Would the kitchen water supply not normally bypass one of these boosters? Could I be mistaken and there is another pump somewhere running?

Any advice appreciated, thanks

It would be a good idea to have a separate supply (or a bypass) that does not rely on the same pump as everything else in case the pump fails and leaves you without water. However, the instructions for the Homebooster do not insist on this and only recommend it. They claim The quality of the water within the storage tank is potable and is therefore suitable for drinking subject to the usual cop-outs about annually cleaning out the storage tank and having the water quality sampled.

It may be that the mains supply to the third floor is so pathetic that it was necessary to pump the water up.

It would be a good idea to have a separate supply (or a bypass) that does not rely on the same pump as everything else in case the pump fails and leaves you without water. However, the instructions for the Homebooster do not insist on this and only recommend it. They claim The quality of the water within the storage tank is potable and is therefore suitable for drinking subject to the usual cop-outs about annually cleaning out the storage tank and having the water quality sampled.

It may be that the mains supply to the third floor is so pathetic that it was necessary to pump the water up.
Thanks. The potential quality of the water does bother me, especially as previous owners appear to have done little maintenance in general, and everything has been up and running for about 7 years.

At the very least it sounds like the tank should be fully emptied and refilled, and I may look into getting the water quality sampled as you've mentioned!

Thanks. The potential quality of the water does bother me, especially as previous owners appear to have done little maintenance in general, and everything has been up and running for about 7 years.

At the very least it sounds like the tank should be fully emptied and refilled, and I may look into getting the water quality sampled as you've mentioned!
It's amazing the state people allow water storage cisterns to get into: next to nobody ever cleans them out. Out of site, out of mind.

I think having the tank cleaned in your case is a very good idea.

It's amazing the state people allow water storage cisterns to get into: next to nobody ever cleans them out. Out of site, out of mind.

I think having the tank cleaned in your case is a very good idea.

Thank you Ric, really appreciate the advice. Out of site out of mind applies to everything else in the same cupboard too. Don't think the heating system has been touched in that time either, though it seems to be running well!

A follow-up question... is emptying and cleaning out the Grundfos HB something I can do or does it need to be done professionally? The operating manual doesn't appear to cover the process.

Reply to Grundfos Home Booster connected to drinking water supply? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock