Search the forum,

Discuss Grohe Sense Guard (automatic valve) - Anyone installed or use them? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Folks,

Has anyone got any experience of the Grohe Sense Guard? It's been on the market for several years but seems that there is virtually no feedback on it for the UK.

So either it's so wonderful that nobody feels the need to complain - or maybe nobody has installed one........

I'm in a block where we're looking at 30 of them, so any experiences (Good or Bad) would be VERY welcome!

No experience with the grohe but your post suggests your building is troubled with leaks.
These auto valve systems only work once the leak has started and are "shutting the stable door once the horse has bolted" (or at least once the horse has got its nose well out of the stable)
I would suggest that inspection of the systems to identify problems before they leak would be a good idea.
At the very least a general survey of each system as the valve is installed might be wise.
There's a saying about prevention and cure.
Lastly you are going to introduce at least 60 new joints on to the system - each one increases the risk of leaking.

No experience with the grohe but your post suggests your building is troubled with leaks.
These auto valve systems only work once the leak has started and are "shutting the stable door once the horse has bolted" (or at least once the horse has got its nose well out of the stable)
I would suggest that inspection of the systems to identify problems before they leak would be a good idea.
At the very least a general survey of each system as the valve is installed might be wise.
There's a saying about prevention and cure.
Lastly you are going to introduce at least 60 new joints on to the system - each one increases the risk of leaking.
Thanks W,

Leaks are indeed the reason we’re looking into them! Regular inspections by owners is something that hasn’t been done and, as you rightly say, should help a lot.

However, the tech is (apparently!) better than shutting the stable door - i.e. Shut off within a few seconds of a burst pipe, damp detection, microleak detection. They have been testing with insurers in Netherlands and Germany and one insurer claiming 70% reduction in water based insurance claims.

We’ve had 3 claims involving 5 different properties this last 12 months - all after the stopcock and all could have been mitigated (or better) by early detection.

Totally agree on the prevention - maybe combined approach will get the best results :)

What’s bursting/ causing leaks after the stop tap

What’s bursting/ causing leaks after the stop tap
So far we’ve had:

1) Washing machine inlet valve not sealing itself straightaway when mains turned back on - door was open. 3 flats affected.
2) Flexible connector failed on sink at 2 in the morning. 2 flats affected.
3) I had a hidden leak on a toilet connection- behind boxed in area. No big deal - bit of damp carpet.
4) Careless shower user spraying water all over the floor…leaked into my flat.

So I should have said 6 properties not 5 :)

All four instances would (should!) be detected by the system. Either through sudden high usage (failed flexi), unusual usage (washing machine), constant use (my hidden leak), surface sensor (shower spray). Apparently an automatic shut-off system is obligatory in blocks in the Channel Islands so either Leaksafe or Grohe are being installed there. Plenty of kit in the US.

The Grohe kit “should” be good from the spec, but number of users seems pitifully low to get a good idea…

They work off times I’ve fitted a few where they will let the water run for 15mins then after that shut off so tbh the damage has already been done

They don’t work for small leaks eg your toilet one

Also for careless showering they don’t work

Reply to Grohe Sense Guard (automatic valve) - Anyone installed or use them? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock