Search the forum,

Discuss Grohe basin mixer tap cover not coming off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Grohe "Eurosmart Cosmopolitan" mixer tap which doesn't turn fully to the right (cold). I fear some sloppy installation and/or an (unwanted) hot water limiter incorrectly installed. Anyway, the guy who installed it is long gone so I'm on my own DIY now.

I took the grub screw out no problem, but for some reason the handle isn't coming off like it does in the Grohe instruction video. Is it possible that limescale has caked it on to the point that 5 minutes of prying and pulling will not budge it, or am I missing something? (in fact it's 5 years old, as I haven't been living in the house, so limescale is definitely a possibility).

So two issues
1) How to get the cap/handle off? I've tried brute force but no chemicals, really don't want to damage the cartridge.
2) What might be causing the limited swivel to the right (20-degrees instead of the approx 50 degree swivel to the left)? Could the hot water limiter have been installed backwards so it acts like a COLD water limiter?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Any pictures ? Always easier to advise
It looks like this (as far as it turns to the right). I had thought removing the grub screw was the standard removal method, but it really won't budge.

Attachments

• Grohe tap handle.jpeg
    Grohe tap handle.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1
Tap heads can get ridiculously stuck with limescale and corrosion. You could try squirting a penetrating oil with straw attachment through the grub screw hole and leave it overnight to see if that helps you free it.

Ultimately, Kop is probably right and it may be better in the long run to replace the whole tap, especially if the oil doesn't work.

Anything is worth a try mate kilrock is a good product available in a spray and will not damage anything spray some in where the grub screw came out and leave over night a few taps to loosen it may just work ? Regards kop

I'd be a bit careful using Kilrock unless you are absolutely certain the handle is made of brass. I've found that Kilrock (which I think is an excellent scale remover) appears to dissolve zinc die-castings.

Given the tap is Grohe, it is most likely brass. I can't think of a non-destructive test to make sure, other than letting it go cold, then holding it in the hand. If it still feels cold after 10 seconds or so its probably brass, if it starts to feel a bit warm, it could well be die-cast.

Reply to Grohe basin mixer tap cover not coming off in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I fitted a brand new Grohe Eurosmart 3246720l (See Photo 1) mono basin tap a few days ago, replacing my previous Grohe tap (See Photo 2) as it had develop a small leak. Absolutely straightforward swap out, as I had 3/8” adapters in place from the previous installation. However, the water...
Replies
Views
I’m trying to replace a cartridge on a Grohe mixer tap but I can’t get beyond second stage! I have removed the grub screw,but cannot lift off the lever.I have applied some wd40 into the grub screw hole,..but the lever won’t budge. is there any other method for removing the tap lever?…help...
Replies
Views
I have a slow leak in the bath. Its a mixer type set up. I'm unfamiliar with the tap handles and how to access the cartridges etc. If I can work out the product name/brand/type then I can work out how to remove the tap handles (no obvious indices so presuming they pull off some how). Would...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have a few mixer taps to install in bathrooms and kitchen. The kitchen tap also has a wondering spray arm capability. On researching something else, i stumbled across people saying that a check valve should be placed on the cold mains feed. How can I tell if the mixer taps/spray arm mix...
Replies
Views
I had an outside tap fitted by a professional plumber last autumn. During the recent cold weather the feed pipe under the kitchen sink froze and the compression joint where the pipe enters an isolation valve now leaks. The outside tap was covered for the winter by an insulating blanket. I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock