Search the forum,

Discuss Groaning sound, Knocking pipes. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

This is regarding the hot water, but I didn't have a clue where else to post it.
We live in a 22 year old Barratt house, we have lived here since new.
The start of last year, we had to have our hot water cylinder replaced as it started leaking (closed system).
Because it was a different make, the inlet/outlets were in different places, so the had to reroute some of the pipework.
They also replaced the central heating pump, and expansion tank. (we have gas care)
Everything has been fine until today
The hot water timer kicked in, the boiler and pump came on fine, but there was a really loud groaning sound, and then around a minute after a lesser one.
I went and turned the hot water off via the timer, the boiler stopped etc, but there was a knocking sound coming from the landing (where the airing cupboard is, or around that area.
I waited a while, then turned the hot water back on via the timer, but there was no groaning, I turned it off, but the knocking sound was still there.
Tried it again and again, the same.
The hot water comes on twice a day, 5.00am then 3.30pm.
It was fine this morning.
It's not happening with the heating.
I let the hot water heat up as usual on the timer until it switched off on its own, but there was no knocking sound.
I did try it manually again, but of course the hot water was up to temperature, so the boiler didn't ignite or the pump start, so I couldn't tell.
Sorry this has been so long winded.

Reply to Groaning sound, Knocking pipes. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock