Search the forum,

Discuss Grey water drain - help in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Desperate help please - how can I get these 3 grey water pipes fed and sealed into drain please
Boiler condenser , shower and sink , bath .
new path laid so I can’t dig that up

Attachments

• D71E1AB2-4A37-4071-96F1-A9F544DE2E51.jpeg
    D71E1AB2-4A37-4071-96F1-A9F544DE2E51.jpeg
    534.9 KB · Views: 21
Aren’t they over a gully grid?

Just leave them and put a removable cover over to keep the leaves out.

I thought it was a gully , this will have a trap to stop smells.

You are better off to have a removable leaf guard for future access, I’ve known people who cement them in - asking for trouble later.

With a bit of care it can look very neat...

If it is the gully itself that is smelly, then rubber gloves and a ladle may be the way forward.

If the pipes, then perhaps the gully could be removed and converted to a stub stack, but it will probably involve digging and getting a professional in.

If a drain smells there's usually something wrong with it.
I had a kitchen gully that routinely used to accumulate stuff from the washing machine powder without having a fault. Similarly, a customer's (on the same estate) would fill with hair from a bath waste. The gullies were deep and designed to accumulate sediment to protect the drain itself (I think). There were no (obvious) faults with either.

Since the OP in this case understandably wants to avoid digging the gully up, perhaps regular cleaning of the gully (which should really be done annually regardless, even though we all know most people won't bother) may be the way forward.

Did it smell when the gulley was full of washing machine gunk?
Yes, it did smell, but was most noticeable when it was being cleaned. Probably the combination of kitchen sink wastewater was the cause of the smell, rather than the washing machine wastewater alone.

Reply to Grey water drain - help in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock