Search the forum,

Discuss Grey plastic pipe in heating system. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Doing some decorating I discovered that some of the central heating pipe work is grey plastic. System installed 20 years ago by previous owners. My question is was that normal practice back then and is it likely to cause any problems in future? All exposed pipe work to rads is copper.

Should be quite OK provided they have used barrier pipe. This type of pipe doesn't let oxygen in, whereas non-barrier pipe does. The oxygen can cause corrosion inside the radiators. If its worked for 20 years, probably OK. There may well be printed characters repeated along the length of the pipe. If you can see this you can identify the type of pipe for further reassurance (or not).

If it’s 20 years old chances is it’s the non barrier type needs ripping out and starting again as they block up

Should be quite OK provided they have used barrier pipe. This type of pipe doesn't let oxygen in, whereas non-barrier pipe does. The oxygen can cause corrosion inside the radiators. If its worked for 20 years, probably OK. There may well be printed characters repeated along the length of the pipe. If you can see this you can identify the type of pipe for further reassurance (or not).
Thank you for your reply, managed to uncover some pipes in the loft.
Written on them is HBP UK Barrier H&C services and central heating. 12 bar 20c 7 bar 82c
011708L 26KJ05.
Hopefully then, this means the piping is fit for purpose ?

You should be fine as it’s barrier pipe (plastic layer in between the two plastic layers)

That would of been true weld pipe was steel pipe that you could solder

Reply to Grey plastic pipe in heating system. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock