Search the forum,

Discuss Green stains on inner surface of WC in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Our house is fed by a spring. The water is soft and so on the acidic side. We had a new upstairs WC and sink fitted. However, over time the WC has gained some green stains down the inside back, where the water flushes down. I am guessing these are caused by the soft water and maybe some interaction with the copper piping. However, nothing seems to remove them - they appear almost to be under the glaze. We are also on a septic tank so need to be careful with cleaning substances. There have been no similar problems with the wash basin. Any ideas on how to shift them and how to prevent them coming back?

I would be inclined to blame the glaze on the bog. Maybe if is still under guarantee get it changed it’s nit rocket science to swap a bog pan Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Thanks Rob, I suspect you may be right about it being the glaze. Unfortunately its out of warranty though. It would be easy enough to change, but my wife would rather not since it matches the sink :) . It would also be annoying to change it and find the same happens again, which is why I am asking if anyone else has any experience of this, especially with spring water.

I lived in a house just outside Bath that was totally reliant on Spring Water we never had green staining , the water was from deep into Solsbury Hill, a limestone affair ....Peter Gabriel wrote a song about it, the hill not the water, the water was very hard and rocked kettles up instantly. Rob Foster aka centralheatking....it’s a long shot but try pub line cleaner is is good fir most things I have found

....it’s a long shot but try pub line cleaner ...
Do you mean the cleaner that pubs use to clean their beer lines? Or was it meant to say "put lime cleaner" ? I am guessing the first - I've got some home brew kit cleaner/steriliser so I'll give it a go and let you know if it works. The only problem will be keeping it where it is needed - unless I disconnect the pan, block the outlet and fill it up with the solution... I'll report back when I've managed to try it. Cheers.

Reply to Green stains on inner surface of WC in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock