Search the forum,

Discuss Green copper pipes, plumber didn't clean up flux after job in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm currently refurbishing a room. Plumber has been in for first fix to lay new pipework for new radiators.

He's laid fresh copper pipe, however around the joints they are all green which I believe is flux residue he hasn't cleaned up after soldering.

Not the cleanest of jobs but I'm not too fussed from a cosmetic point of view as it won't be on show but is there any risks of corrosion or anything that would warrant him coming back to clean them up?

Thanks all for confirming.

Question now becomes... do I ask him to come back? I noticed it after he left, really I should have inspected it closely and pointed it out before he left so he could have sorted it there and then.

Or do I clean it myself and just mention it to him when he comes back to do second fix? If this option, how would be best to clean it?

It may have just slipped his attention and wasn't green at the time, obviously. I'm sure it happens even to the best of us (except me, of course).

Wet rag for most fluxes. Corroded areas may need a bit of elbow grease. You won't cause harm by cleaning it off.

If he's used a flux like like Fluxite that isn't very water soluble you will need hot water and a good scrub (but Fluxite doesn't turn pipes green so that rules that out).

Just do what some people do when they receive the final invoice.

Pick it to bits and negotiate a price reduction.

After that's done, tell the plumber what you had to do to make the job right.
- Second deduction.

I'm being slightly facetious, but I've had this happen to me from builders and homeowners trying to get the works done cheaper.

Usually doesn't end amicable, so grin and bear it if you like the Plumber and his work.
You never know, he may have had intentions of cleaning the flux off

I suggest leading the plumber into admitting he is in the wrong by asking him - Is flux corrosive?
Hopefully he will reply, Yes, and then gives you the opportunity to say politely “That’s what I thought, so I cleaned all the flux off those joints after noticing it.”

I suggest leading the plumber into admitting he is in the wrong by asking him - Is flux corrosive?
Hopefully he will reply, Yes, and then gives you the opportunity to say politely “That’s what I thought, so I cleaned all the flux off those joints after noticing it.”

That could work but what if he says "nah it's fine"? lol

That could work but what if he says "nah it's fine"? lol
If he does say that flux isn’t corrosive, - ask him is it okay then if you do him a favour and paint his van wheels with same flux to ‘protect’ them from corrosion. Lol!

If he does say that flux isn’t corrosive, - ask him is it okay then if you do him a favour and paint his van wheels with same flux to ‘protect’ them from corrosion. Lol!
1962 council house with green staining from flux on original copper pipework in loft. Sold in 2012 and the flux still hadn't eaten through the pipes. Let's not over-scare the OP, eh?

About 10 years ago the National Physical Laboratory published a guide on corrosion in copper pipes. Most of the content is about corrosion on the inside of pipes carrying fresh water (high oxygen content - as opposed to CH systems) which for rare occurrences of particular ph and mineral content, can be very severe.
Interesting read, although it doesn't really help the OP !

1962 council house with green staining from flux on original copper pipework in loft. Sold in 2012 and the flux still hadn't eaten through the pipes. Let's not over-scare the OP, eh?
Never did try to scare the OP Ric!
But I wouldn’t take any old excuse or lies from anyone responsible for something I am paying for.
Flux on all pipes is a tell tale sign of careless work. We wouldn’t accept a painter to leave paint splattered over floors or windows would we?
I have seen flux thick on cold pipes from the 1960s and only minor corrosion, if any at all. But that was most likely grease based traditional type Fluxite.
However, as am sure you will admit, some fluxes will cause deep and pitting corrosion on copper pipes within months or certainly years if left on pipes and personally I won’t use such fluxes as they damage pipes internally and the solder ironically.
If the OPs plumber forgot to wipe the couple joints, okay it can happen - I have very occasionally forgot to clean a joint & discovered flux on it after joint was cold, but in my experience plumbers rarely clean the joints and that is inexcusable.

Reply to Green copper pipes, plumber didn't clean up flux after job in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock