Search the forum,

Discuss Greasy clothes - washing machine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Hoping somebody will have come across this before.

Clothes I have washed are coming out of the washing machine greasy. Almost as if they have oil on them. This has started happening in the last few weeks. I got a washing machine cleaner from Tesco and that made it ok for a month or so but now I’m back to square one. I’ve used another cleaner today and run the machine at a 90° wash to clean it through but the issues are persisting. Any ideas or tips would be received gratefully.

For info, the washing machine and the kitchen sink waste pipes are connected if that helps.

Does your washer waste pipe have a loop in it where it connects on to the sink trap?
As in does it rise slightly before dropping down? If not then greasy water from the kitchen waste could run downwards towards the washing m/c.

When you do a hot wash are the items coming out hot. Could be that your element has gone.
Rinses with cold anyway so items should not come out all that hot.

At least some old mechanically programmed machines has a sequence that could not go on through a complete cycle until the thermostat was satisfied, so if the element failed, the machine stopped mid-wash. I would suspect that a modern computer-controlled machine would not be able to complete a cycle either. On the other hand, if the thermostat were to fail, then the element would not switch on but the cycle would continue oblivious.

Drain hose plumbed to allow all the grease from kitchen sink to sit in the washer.

Adjust hose so it drops into waste.

Tell tale sign is open washer door after a few days of non usage. It will stink like sh! Te.

Reply to Greasy clothes - washing machine in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock