Search the forum,

Discuss Gray Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Pelton

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all

I've got a customer who has an outside tap supplied from a grey water storage tank in the loft, this is pumped up from an underground tank fed by rainwater. The custard wants to be able to switch this outside tap from gray water to mains water at will. Easy enough to do with lever actions and double check valves to protect the mains, But does it contravene the water regs?? I think the 2 waters shouldn't ever mix but I'm unsure

yes it does break the regs,you cant combine the two together directly. you require and air gap and cant mix the two lots of pipework. you cant even change it over connecting any of the exsisting grey water pipework to the cold supply it would all have to be new pipework. best to fit another tap.

Last edited:
the exsisting grey water may have a cold fill backup device to the tank in the loft or ground via an air gap?

also if you do fit another tap the tap supplied by the grey water requires a identitiy plate with grey/reclaimed water not for drinking on it or very simular(wras requirement). Dont want anyone mixing the two up and drinking bad water :)

Thanks for confirming that AW, It was fitted by a previous plumber on a new build who has disappeared and nothing is labeled!! It does have a cold fill backup in the tank in the loft, recycles itself every so many hours if not used, quite an expensive and complex bit of kit. If the outside tap purely does gray water does it require it to have a label? common sense says it should but is it required by the regs?

yes. Both the outside tap, any cisterns and tanks (inc. any toilets connected)the pipework and any fixtures and valves should all be labeled up so there is no chance of it ever being drunk, or crossed over. theres a guide on the wras website if memory serves. the labels are normally black and green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gray Water in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Customer wants an outside tap for dog washing so needs to be blended. The hot water is gravity and its a bungalow so little head at the point of installation. I can't get a cold from the storage cistern to the utility so it has to be mains cold. Can pressure reducing valves be taken down to...
Replies
Views
For residential housing, what are the current regulations and/or recommended/standard practices regarding the supply of cold water to the taps on kitchen sinks and bathroom washbasins? Must the supply come directly from the mains or can it come from the cold water storage tank? Or is the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the cause. I would like a flow rate of about 12L/min. Here is my set-up: Standard gas boiler (not a combi) in the kitchen, have cold water tanks in the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock