Search the forum,

Discuss Gray water systems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jase158

Hi All, got a customer who wants to put washing machine in garage, there is no drains anywhere to connect the washing machine to, I have told them they will need to dig down and connect to drain in middle of garden. she is quite keen on the idea of storing the water in some sort of water butt and wondering if anybody has any information on why this is wrong or any experience on gray water systems?

That would be brown water

Use a saniflow to pump it to a drain

That would be brown water

Use a saniflow to pump it to a drain

there aint any open drains anywhere round the house, except the rain water. did mention that she shouldn't use a water butt and the idea of saniflow, but she emailed me saying she was going to look into water butt.

Just wanted to confirm I was right, so its not gray water then, oops, best off leaving her to it i think.

Find out if it is a combined drainage system. If it is it all goes to the same place so tie it into the rainwater downpipe.

Find out if it is a combined drainage system. If it is it all goes to the same place so tie it into the rainwater downpipe.

rainwater down pipe has no access, unless I go through the garage door, lol

Whole point of sani flow is that you can pump long distances

there aint any open drains anywhere round the house, except the rain water. did mention that she shouldn't use a water butt and the idea of saniflow, but she emailed me saying she was going to look into water butt.

Just wanted to confirm I was right, so its not gray water then, oops, best off leaving her to it i think.

Putting washing machine drain into a rainwater drain is not correct, as this will pollute streams etc, as this water is not treated before discharge.
We've had investigations round where i live into pollution of streams, and it was found that a neighbour had directed a washing machine drain into a rainwater drain.

Putting washing machine drain into a rainwater drain is not correct, as this will pollute streams etc, as this water is not treated before discharge.
We've had investigations round where i live into pollution of streams, and it was found that a neighbour had directed a washing machine drain into a rainwater drain.

There are different types of drainage system, sometimes in the same area. It is easy to check.

does anyone know where to look for regulations for the washing machine waste not being recycled, I doubt it is combined as it is only 15-20 years old. but she is adiment she will be using a water butt to use the water in the garden. I don't think she should do this so would like to advice that she doesnt do it.

Will she be using chemicals such as bleach in her washing machine

Oops there goes all the plants. And the soil will go a nice white color

rain water is low in any contaiminates and a natural source of water for plants, washing machine water in cat 3 water and will kill the plants unless cleaned first. Atleast the garden may smell fresh for a while. lol

dont eat and vegs she offers you out of her garden :)

She could always use the water to wash her shinny WHITE car. and it would help to keep her driveway clear of cats.

Washing machine waste water is classed as foul water as it contains cleaning chemicals as well as grease, mud, stains, dye and whatever comes out of your clothes. It can either go into a foul water sewer (with WC waste) or a combined foul water and surface water drain.

From what I understand, 'Grey water' is a term used to collect rainwater and surface run off which is not potable/drinkable in order to be used for applications such as toilet cisterns, and water butts where the quality is not an issue.

And isnt there some sort of filter system you could install to turn grey or brown water into water for toilet, i.e.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gray water systems in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock