Search the forum,

Discuss gravity flow back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping to have a back boiler woodburner installed, which can work to heat cylinder by gravity even when no power (still happens!). Looking at other threads, I fear that pumps MUST now be installed, so is this not now allowed?

Older heating systems with hot water by gravity circulation and pumped central heating are no longer considered efficient. However, design for back boiler off woodburner would need to circulate by gravity in event of pump failure.Position of DHW cylinder,size of flow and return pipework, heat resistant F&E tank, heat sink.are all necessary considerations.Properly designed the system should work with no power to the pump. ( or even with pump removed).

What type of cylinder are you thinking of, not un-vented I hope ?

What are you going to use to heat the hot water in the summer ?

As above, a thermal store can be a good option.

I currently have a small uninsulated copper tank, fed from cold tank in loft, with expansion/overflow up into cold tank. Advice from local man was I need a mains pressure hot cylinder, with pressure release valve to outside- is this what is called Unvented? (mains Cold pressure is adequate). Thanks.

Don't mix unvented cylinder and solid fuel boiler. A thermal store is a different animal which delivers hot water at mains pressure, like an unvented cylinder, but is compatible with solid fuel if correctly positioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gravity flow back boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All...thx for the help in advance. I have recently installed a wood burner with back boiler heating system. Set up with gravity rad and header tank in loft. I have a recirculation pump installed that I have connected to the rad system that I turn on and off manually. I wanted to know how...
Replies
Views
Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock