Search the forum,

Discuss Grant Vortex sooted up and overheating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicno1

Gas Engineer
Hi all

firstly I want to say that we are oftec reg and have 30 years exp and have posted here many times so be nice.

we were called this morning to a Grant Vortex external Eco 26. On arrival we took off the top and front casing to find soot everywhere!!!!! Customer said it was serviced last Feb.
so after stripping the boiler down we found the first baffle slightly warped and showing signs of very high heat you know what I mean! We cleaned the chamber and turbalators which were coked in crap. New nozzle checked pump pressure and smoke on 0. FGA 11.5% co2 air at 3.5 ish. Only thing we couldn't test was the stats coz we left our kbb tester behind.
Apart from the control stat being shot any ideas as to what could of caused this???? Old nozzle was correct 65/80 pump pressure 8.5
thanks
also the condense pipe that connects the heat exc to the top of the trap had basically melted off on the elbow that pushes onto the metal pipe from the heat exc!

Last edited:
Mouse/bird in air intake. Somebody fiddling. Set too near the knuckle when it was serviced. Not serviced last Feb, custs can be economical with the truth. Loads of reasons. It happens.

Yeh I know. Didn't find any blockage. Also I know the guy that services it I don't trust him that's why we were called in at 8 this morning.

Tis a wonder you ever passed your exams Millsy, read the question twice before answering, or in this case the opening post :)

Oh yeah missed that bit! Oops.

Funnily enough every time I go for an exam there is always 1 question that I read totally wrong or miss bits out and sit there for ages trying to figure it out. Lol.

Simple. If it has nothing blocking the air intake then it has either been set wrong (or somebody messed with oil pressure) or far too close to a sooty setting, as SimonG said, or it is a nozzle gone wrong!
Nozzles can suddenly go very bad & I have seen this many times, even with a brand new nozzle.
The soot is a brilliant insulator which will mean most of the heat will go to the baffles & then to the secondary heat exchanger - hence warped baffles & overheated condense connection.

You will never know if the nozzle was faulty from when fitted or just suddenly faulty, because you didn't do the previous service. Only way I know the previous guy was at fault is if the air or oil pressure is way off normal limits. If it had have been set properly then maybe the nozzle did become faulty later. If the previous engineer had left the burner going slightly sooty, then the soot could have gradually built up. Remember also that on a burner set well - the setting will be just a whisker off the burner going sooty. The nozzle only then has to let a tiny percent of extra oil through it to produce sooty burn.

You will never know if the nozzle was faulty from when fitted or just suddenly faulty, because you didn't do the previous service. Only way I know the previous guy was at fault is if the air or oil pressure is way off normal limits. If it had have been set properly then maybe the nozzle did become faulty later. If the previous engineer had left the burner going slightly sooty, then the soot could have gradually built up. Remember also that on a burner set well - the setting will be just a whisker off the burner going sooty. The nozzle only then has to let a tiny percent of extra oil through it to produce sooty burn.

Thanks

What flue is it? Despite MI, 11.5% is actually a bit rich unless you have a nice tall conventional flue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Grant Vortex sooted up and overheating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock