Search the forum,

Discuss Grant vortex overheat reset in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,
I have a grant vortex oil boiler that keeps tripping the overheat stat. It is not a Combi boiler and happens at anytime of the day/night.
Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Without trying to sound harsh.... overheat stats tripping are a relatively easy fault to find and rectify....most times.
Have a think of what the reasons are - you might come up with an answer

You are not actually a boiler service person then?
Your own property I guess?
Overheat stat constantly needing reset means fault with overheat .....

Oops, sorry, I didn’t read your intro post but had checked you were a brand new member.
If boiler is running too hot (overheating the system water) and overheat is tripping, then overheat is working properly and there is only one other suspect.
Although do make sure system has enough water pressure constantly , if sealed type

Here’s where I would look if this isn’t sorted.
1. Could be as said above, the primary culprit could be a faulty boiler stat or misplaced boiler stat. This can be checked by seeing if phial is well sitted in its pocket on the side of combustion chamber. If in position then see if adjusting the control cuts boiler live while heating, if not then the stat is most likely the cause. You can use a thermometer as well inside boiler phial pocket to see temperature around phial and check with boiler dial.
2. Air locks will cause the same problem, preventing hot water from being circulated away from burner. When this happens often the temperature increases so rapidly that the boiler stat can’t act quick enough to cut burner live and the overheat stat has to intervene.
3. A faulty circulating pump could also cause this.
4. If you’re in a hard water area scale could have formed on flow outlet preventing the circulation of heat, however this would usually cause a kettling noise as well.
5. Similar to scale build up if the system is riddled with black iron oxide (sludge) then in theory depending on how bad this is it could cause the same.
6. If it’s an open vented system then check the level of water in the feed and expansion tank in loft. If no water were present then the system will be low of water. However I don’t suspect this now due to what you have and more importantly haven’t said you’ve experiencing.
Having said all this this is very basic stuff anyone working on boilers should know. Sorry if that makes me sound like an a***hole

Reply to Grant vortex overheat reset in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock