Search the forum,

Discuss Grant Vortex Condensing Boiler air in fuel? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi
I have a grant oil fired boiler that is approx 4 years old. Recently the burner has started locking out. If I press the reset button it will start and fire and heat enough water for a shower etc... but then locks out. Sometimes it will stay on for a couple of days and give hot water on demand but will then lock out again. This was serviced around 6 months ago and a new nozzle was fitted and a new filter at the discharge point of the tank. Is the ‘steam’ colour any indication of what is happening? When this was operating perfectly this was white but now sometimes it white but other times when running is is almost colourless. I am guessing not getting to high enough temperature. I have tried to bleed fuel a few times and each time it seems to bubble and ‘fizz’ a bit. Is air getting in? There are compression fittings at tank (filter), fire valve and at 90 degrees just after fire valve where it comes through the wall
Thanks

Could be air getting drawn in, but best get your service guy back out to check it all and make sure all joints are replaced or repaired that might be not sound.
Does it have a one or a two pipe oil line, or a Tigerloop device?

Thanks. Just one pipe supply. I did have the guy back last week but he wanted to strip down the boiler, dig up the oil pipe outside etc... and he couldn’t do it for at least 2 weeks but I think it could be more simple than that. I have just checked the pipe outside and think there is a trace of kerosene there so if oil is coming out could air be getting in?

Could be air getting drawn in, but best get your service guy back out to check it all and make sure all joints are replaced or repaired that might be not sound.
Does it have a one or a two pipe oil line, or a Tigerloop device?

No tiger loop either

Yes it is possible for air to be drawn in if you are noticing a trace of kerosine.
But a good oil engineer could test for that easily and probably have vacuum gauge for checking.

Pressure test the oil line to find your leak. I suspect it will be badly done joints (probably compression fittings without the required brass inserts in the ends of the pipes) allowing air in. Sounds like your guy is just guessing

Reply to Grant Vortex Condensing Boiler air in fuel? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock