Search the forum,

Discuss Grant Vortex Air Boiler in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

SimonG

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
Anybody had any experience with a grant vortex air? Apparently a grant blue flame heat only boiler linked to a air source heat pump.

Customer wants one!

Aye, the not a lot of change from 9 grand and the 280kg weight were two of the first things I noticed.

I'm going to ask some fellow engineers on their thoughts. Bare with me for a while.
[automerge]1592855257[/automerge]
Not much feedback yet mate. The primary concern I have at the moment is is this a new build or retro fit? The latter would require sound insulation throughout the property.

Last edited:
The problem with any heat pump is the insulation in the property must be adequate, else you're chucking power in but getting very little back and in this case the PJ will be called upon more often to compensate. My understanding with these units are the system should be designed and installed properly with the PJ only coming on during extreme circumstances, the heat pump should be able to maintain heat emissions during normal operation, apart from when charging a HW cylinder which obviously requires higher flow temperatures

I have my doubts about the set up. I'd much prefer a hounsfield heat only and a 210 litre unvented cylinder. Like you say, what's the point of a heat pump that needs topping up with a 26kw oil boiler.

Theres a lot of work to do in the place.

It's an old farmhouse that was done up about 25 years ago. Little insulation, big open plan kitchen diner that used to be the cow byre.

Scope of works is

the boiler side, all new rads and pipework.
Downstairs bathroom to be fully stripped and converted to wet room with roll top bath.
Upstairs shower room.
Separate upstairs cloakroom.

Also all ground floors currently quarry tiles and has wanting yorkshire stone. I'm thinking underfloor but dont know if he will be convinced.

Then builder in for all new doors and windows
Then new kitchen.

He's moving out whilst it's all done.

Basically he's just retired and it's just been somewhere to sleep and wants it all bringing upto date.

Why not oil boiler with buffer tank and unvented cylinder. Adequate sized cylinder and buffer tank fed by boiler, you can then implicate weather compensation.

Why not oil boiler with buffer tank and unvented cylinder. Adequate sized cylinder and buffer tank fed by boiler, you can then implicate weather compensation.
No space for a buffer tank, going to be a squeeze to get an unvented cylinder in. Well not from what I saw, but might be something to look at.

Currently running a 25 year old heat slave.

Once he given you an idea of what he wants, go though all the options and relative pros and cons with him.
Unfortunately for modern day systems some sort of space is needed to accommodate everything, id hate to hear from you he settled on another combi 😂

Once he given you an idea of what he wants, go though all the options and relative pros and cons with him.
Unfortunately for modern day systems some sort of space is needed to accommodate everything, id hate to hear from you he settled on another combi 😂

No way he's getting a combi, not from me anyway 👍👍

Reply to Grant Vortex Air Boiler in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock