Search the forum,

Discuss Grant / Riello burner choice in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Grant Vortex Blue 26kw external oil boiler, installed less than 12 months ago. It's had intermittent non-starting problems resulting in multiple warranty visits, part replacements and eventually burner replacement. The replaced burner I discovered was a 'yellow flame' one, apparently the same as on the Grant Vortex Pro model. Having questioned this with Grant, I've been told that this is as efficient and my longer warranty is preserved but offered to either keep this one with a cash adjustment or have it replaced again with a 'blue flame' one as originally fitted. I'm concerned about having a hybrid boiler but the yellow flame's ability to burn biofuel might be an advantage in the future. Any thoughs or advice would be appreciated.

I would think a burner that has tighter control of emissions is more complicated than the more basic type so you might opt to keep the yellow flame with its added ability to burn biofuel. I have a 18 year old boiler with a very basic Riello G5X burner that has never tripped on any form combustion failure, I certainly wouldn't expect any of the newer type burners to operate like this.

Did Grant give any reasons for the intermittent starting problems?.

Ask for a blue burner, much lower on pollutants from what I remember.

Interested to hear what Grant put the intermittent starting down to.

A blessing in disguise, you can thrown your used chip pan oil and any old brylcreem + briallintine hair oil that you may no longer need into the oil tank now.

As Grant registered installer's I can give a bit of background information,.
The blue flame boiler was introduced to meet upcoming EU regs which of course never happened.
It was a more expensive boiler plus more expensive to maintain due to requiring new blast tube and other parts on a regular basis .
It has now been withdrawn in the UK and the vortex pro range warranty extended to 10 years (assuming a Grant registered engineer commissions)
Riello did have problems with a small number of burners around 20 months ago the op probably had one of those.
If you check the omissions from the blue flame and the current yellow flame there is not that much difference.

Reply to Grant / Riello burner choice in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My boiler began to lock out occasionally every now and then. Got it serviced continued to lock out getting more frequent An engineer came, changed the fire lock out, changed the pump, changed some braided leads to the burner no change I clean the oil filter near the tank I replace the capacitor...
Replies
Views
Nightmare.. Hi guys need advice. Went to service a friends boiler that hasn't been service in years... He has cleaned out the heat exchanger from time to time but that's all. The boiler was working fine. So I started out cleaning the heat exchanger which was clean.. the replaced a new nozzel...
Replies
Views
Two years ago, I requested a fully qualified plumber to change the location of the hot water cylinder in a vented central heating system. I wanted to move it from the first floor to the loft, which he did. During the last two years, I have often noticed when I have been up in the loft that the...
Replies
Views
S
Baxi Barcelona, under service contract - in May this year started giving intermittent ‘explosive ignition’ … when it happens gives a seriously loud bang. This boiler had been upgraded to 100HE spec some years ago. Multiple visits and loads of parts … fault just got worse – was also now failing...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
W
Hi, The boiler in our recently rented house needed some unrelated work. Upon completion, the gas fitter noticed the gasket on the burner had failed such that we could actually see an orange glow and the electrics above had burn damage from intermittent flashes. Of course he stuck "IMMEDIATELY...
Replies
Views
L
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock