Search the forum,

Discuss got my first gas safe inspection coming up (1st since registered) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jack.frost

Not long got my own gas safe card and now got my probationary inspection coming up

I haven't done much gas work since college and my work placement as I am studying 2days a week.

Any ideas on what they may ask or what they may want to see?
Would they let me do a service on a boiler? And if so what service are they most likely to want to see?
Full strip down or jst with the analyser and then full strip down if analyser figures are out?

I've got a couple propeties which have got vaillant combi boilers in and was thinking of doing it there
But I read somewhere that seals need to be replaced, guessing I would need to.purchase them before starting the service?

Have done installs when I was doing my work placement (under supervision) but as I'm now on my own I don't have any install jobs coming up (hence me asking if I could do a service) - also any servicing tips would be handy as servicing and breakdowns is the field I'd like to go.into

Got me abit stressed. I'm ok with gas knowledge. Jst wondering if anyone got any advice .

Thanks in advance. Much appreciated

Have a look at the various other threads that have asked the same question dude.
Take your time, you have the skill and knowledge so remember that, it's not an exam the guy is just giving you the once over to check you aren't a chuckle brother ;)

Just be safe and methodical.
Do your checks with confidence.
Its no sweat really

Make sure you have relevant labels etc
And paperwork is correctly completed.
They love gas rating and correct working pressures/pipe sizing

I got a load of questions on fires.
But he did well he only got 1 wrong :)
Haha

Joking aside. Seriously - he was a lovely bloke, friendly and very helpful. And he loved a cuppa :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jack Frost. What gas appliances do you have in your own home? Gas safe are fully aware that not everybody installs. I'm sure if you gave a boiler and cooker in your house they'd be happy to see you carry out a service on them.
It's honestly not as bad as you're expecting it to be. Stay calm!

Hi jack . Your not the only guy in this position , so many others are the same as yourself as an engineer can't choose what jobs they receive and attend as its pure luck mostly on who phones you and for what. Once you've been with the gassafe guy for 5mins youl be a lot more relaxed as they're there to help and basically just to make sure you can do standard safety aspects of gas . Choose where your gonna take him and run through the jobs a few times b4 you meet him so on the day youl be a whizz kid. Even if your taking him to a service buy a few seals and practise your servicing techniques and your tests ...

Cheers for the advice lads. Iv got a property that I let out which has a fairly new vaillant combi and a cooker hob In there. Think I'm going to try do it there, just to make life easier under inspection as its got plenty of room around the boiler (just to make life that bit easier while being inspected)

I'm due to go our with a service engineer 2days a week to get bit more experience on servicing and breakdowns but unfortunately this will be after my inspection

Installs wise I'm fine , just don't have that sort of work coming my way

Check the date re the vaillant combi.
I note you made reference to seals.
That was on older models.
There is a TB that identifies what age models the seal replacement applies to

Check the date re the vaillant combi.
I note you made reference to seals.
That was on older models.
There is a TB that identifies what age models the seal replacement applies to

The TB on the gas safe website? Someone told me that if the burner is removed the seal should be replaced .
I'll have to check it all up before hand . I don't fancy dawdling and wasting time while being assessed lol
Would look rather unprofessional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to got my first gas safe inspection coming up (1st since registered) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Morning All. We have a gas safe inspection coming up. It's the first one we've had since I started working at the company and my predecessor didn't keep any info on what it involves IE what type of work they will look at, certs and tools to have on the engineers vans and the like. We are 90%...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an update, he like myself was gobsmaked at the level of abuse I got from asking a basic question. Thanks Tom for the DM, I managed to pass in 2019...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler was flashing SE even before I arrived, which I assumed the service reminder needed resetting. After completing the service I contact Glow Worm to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock