Search the forum,

Discuss Glow.worm boiler explosion. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

My LPG Glow.worm Ultracom 30 sxi boiler has exploded in some way. The front has blown open and the casing has buckled. (I was on holiday at the time. Thermostat left set at 16deg.) Annual Service four weeks ago. Boiler and heating still working! Any suggestions on cause?

Attachments

• 9E056C27-C2A8-458D-AECF-053F8A21C80D.jpeg
    9E056C27-C2A8-458D-AECF-053F8A21C80D.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 56
Turn it off and leave it off also time for a new boiler sorry to say

Thanks. Guessed that would be the case. Just wondered what could have happened especially as advised by engineer at service it was in excellent nick!

Have they every cleaned inside the boiler eg stripped it down ?

I’m guessing it didn’t light first time and when it fired the second the extra gas made it go bang maybe

I hope they replaced the burner door seal and nyloc nuts when they cleaned the hex & burner as required, & LDF the GV inlet. This as previously mentioned needs turning off, isolating and reporting to gas safe & riddor for investigation. DO NOT USE!
[automerge]1574760104[/automerge]
I’m guessing it didn’t light first time and when it fired the second the extra gas made it go bang maybe

Still it should not go bang even if it does not light first time. Should just go to lock out after 5 failed attempts should it not?

There are a number of reasons that could have happened and they may be unrelated to the Engineer. It is important you have this investigated for obvious reasons. There are others with the same Boiler, so if there is a fault it needs to be dealt with very soon.
Thank you. Have requested an engineer assessment and will ensure it is followed up.

I hope they replaced the burner door seal and nyloc nuts when they cleaned the hex & burner as required, & LDF the GV inlet. This as previously mentioned needs turning off, isolating and reporting to gas safe & riddor for investigation. DO NOT USE!

Still it should not go bang even if it does not light first time. Should just go to lock out after 5 failed attempts should it not?
mains gas shouldnt but lpg is a different animal. as lpg is heavier than air and it may not for whatever reason have all been purged out of combustion chamber on ignition sequence and has sat in bottom of boiler waiting for an ignition source
[automerge]1574797740[/automerge]

mains gas shouldnt but lpg is a different animal. as lpg is heavier than air and it may not for whatever reason have all been purged out of combustion chamber on ignition sequence and has sat in bottom of boiler waiting for an ignition source

Reply to Glow.worm boiler explosion. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this could be as a result of us noticing the sound more when there is less environmental noise). Unfortunately, it is severely disrupting our sleep, so we...
Replies
Views
The problem is, my ideal boiler logic heat h15 keeps on burning (igniting flame icon on) all the time, all day long, regardless of the programmed on off schedule for both heating and hot water. when we have the heating turned off from the thermostat programmer (danfoss tp9000ma-si), i.e frosted...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
I have just moved into a late 1990s new-build house with a small bore (about 1/2" OD pipes) gas fired boiler central heating system. All the normal radiators get hot but two of the three towel heater/radiators don't get hot and the pipes feeding them are cool to the touch even after the boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello. I wonder if someone can help. We have noticed 2 issues in our house over the last couple of weeks . We have a Glow Worm Ultracom 24cxi combi boiler and have never had problems with it previously 1) central heating always/near constantly on. We have 2 small radiators and a towel rail...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock