Search the forum,

Discuss Gis a job?? 18yo Passed ACS, Gas & Plumbing level 2 Full Licence in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

konimitsu

Hi am 18 and I am in need of an apprenticeship as plumber with a local company in Liverpool / Merseyside area.

Not just looking for a job but a career and I have already passed my level 2 plumbing nvq and also my level 2 gas and I have passed my ACS exams and now registered on the gas safe register. I am starting my level 3 gas in september which is for 1 day each week and need to get some good experience.

I spent my 18th birthday money on my ACS exams and also driving lessons and I have passed my driving test so also have a full driving license.

I know it is a tough climate out there right now but I hope you see I am not just looking for any job....I have invested in my future and desperately need someone to give me a hand along....

Any offers of help gratefully appreciated.

Please leave a message or reply here...

Thank you

Jordan

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 18 yr old Passed ACS & Level 2 Gas & Plumbing needs apprenticeship Liverpool area

Thank you Mani

firstly well done , I admire your commitment.
However you appear to be yet another example of what is wrong with the current system. You have the qualifications but have no apprenticeship , to my mind this is the wrong way round:confused:

Thanks guys I know exactly what you mean and I desperately need the experience.

At 16 when I left school it was pretty much impossible so I thought how to make myself more attractive to a future employer and show that I am someone who is already commited....hence the exams etc

Something will come along, it is just the right person seeing my CV so i'll keep trying and hopefully someone on here may just know someone who is looking for an apprentice, gotta keep positive.

I know a couple of guys who have apprenticeships and would leave them tomorrow if they were offered a job with another 50p per hour more because they are not bothered....they were just in the right place at the right time, it is sad but true.

Thanks for the responses and anyone else has any advice please let me know.

Jordan

Re: 18 yr old Passed ACS & Level 2 Gas & Plumbing needs apprenticeship Liverpool area

No apprenticeship yet but I have been out with a plumber today helping and getting some real life experience.

I have been working today with a guy from another forum (maybe here as well, thanks Tom) and will be working him this week for some experience and helping him a little bit I hope.

Any other offers of help, experience, advice etc greatfully received.

Thanks again Tom

Jordan

Any help guys???

Apprenticeship really needed or just odd days work experience.....thanks

Applied for a job as an apprentice......

I am 18 with full drivers licence.

Passed my NVQ 2 plumbing

Passed my NVQ 2 Gas installation and maintenance

Passed my ACS exam and gas safe registered

Have got a course booked for 1 day per week from september to do my NVQ 3

Just found out I have not even been shortlisted down to the interview stage........

What is one to do???????????

I want to be a plumber and have done everythign possible to make myself stand out and prove my ability and willingness to learn but it seems that hundreds of applications for every job from probably many who just want any job and yours gets lost in the piles.....

What are young people supposed to do?

The government, many employers, our peers often go on about how lazy and useless the younger people are these days but who is giiving any of the younger people a chance......

Interesting to know what the views are here of what one is supposed to do to even get a bloody interview!!!!!!

Frustrated hard working 18 year old who will be an asset to any plumbing firms out there....GIVEN THE CHANCE....

No offense buy if you qualified and registered for gas and have a vehicle why don`t you work for yourself until a change in employment turns up:confused:

Stick at it !!!
From an employers point of view we are not given any where near enough help or funding !!!! it all goes to colleges thats why there are loads of people with quals looking for apprenticeships , as I said wrong way round.
Insurance is a killer, public liability , employers liability , van .
A lot of apprentices ( Not All) expect top dollar from the off. Its not cheap employing someone especially if they bugger off as soon as qualified .

No offense buy if you qualified and registered for gas and have a vehicle why don`t you work for yourself until a change in employment turns up:confused:

Hi I don't have a vehicle yet but I think also that maybe people don't understand fully what I am saying.

I have my NVQ 2 in both Plumbing and also Gas installation and maintenance and doing my NVQ 3 from september. Yes I took and passed my ACS exams a couple of months but I still do not have the experience...the qualifications yes but not the experience to do the job competently.....

I have read quite a few forums recently and there are many horror stories about guys who are not qualified or experienced botching jobs, ripping off old ladies and also working on gas unqualified...it is shameful and I think you probably need a couple of years minimum experience with someone fully qualififed to be able to go and do the job properly yourself or at least start to do it because many more years of learnign will still be needed as such. I have the qualifications and the papers, I am SAFE and work to high standard but I have not got the experience to able to do it alone and will not have until I get an apprenticeship with someone.

2 full time courses at college and a few months experience working with a couple of plumbers is great but I want to do everything the right way. I am not meaning to be disrespectful in any to anyone who has done these 6 week courses or whatever they are but I just believe there is a right and wrong way to go about the learning and for me it is spend my early years learning.

Thanks again for your commenst guys it is greta to hear other peoples thoughts.....

Well after reading your posts konimitsu,I can feel your frustration and can only hope something turns up for you soon
All I can say is wish you all the best of luck and reading your posts think Liverpool and Merseyside area are missing out at the moment on a potential top notch plumber
If its any consolation,things have a way of working out,not as fast as we would like but they do,just fingers crossed your break is just around the corner :)

Thanks toddy and puddle for your kind words...

I now it is a waiting game just get frustrated but yes it will work out eventually just have to wait for the right person to see me at the right time and it will happen......sooner rather than later I hope.

toddy there is some ways of help from government sources for employers I have read about where it costs you ÂŁ125 per week but the peopel who 'administer' the apprenticeship sort out everythign else like tax and ni and insurance etc. You still have to pay the ÂŁ125 but IF someone needs an apprentice then it is worthwhile and if they get the right guy (IE ME...:D) it could be a very wise investment long term.

I also understand the frustration for an employer to train someone to just go and do it alone....It is easy for someone to say they wouldn't go off alone but I just hope people see that the important thing for me is to do things right, right by the customer and right by my employer and if I were that way inclined I would be tempted to go off and try doing jobs now which I just wouldn't do on my own.

Thanks guys and I am keeping my fingers crossed and one day soon someone on here may need an apprentice in my area.

balfour beatty are taking on, the site is LC8 building a new school in halewood give them a ring they usually go for lads with qualifications i.e tech cert to gain experience for nvq 2&3, i cant understand how youve done an nvq when u need to be working to gain ya evidence for ya nvq .... puzzled

balfour beatty are taking on, the site is LC8 building a new school in halewood give them a ring they usually go for lads with qualifications i.e tech cert to gain experience for nvq 2&3, i cant understand how youve done an nvq when u need to be working to gain ya evidence for ya nvq .... puzzled

Yeah was just gonna say that mate?

I thought you had to work to build up your portfolio? Thats what I had to do, have an apprenticeship to do nvq2.

yeh im currently just finishing my level 2 tech cert in plumbing and to make it to a nvq your tech cert and outside evidence go together so you would of had to of worked to get an nvq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gis a job?? 18yo Passed ACS, Gas & Plumbing level 2 Full Licence in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock