Search the forum,

Discuss Getting new combi + rads...advice welcome in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannay

Hi there,
Have decided to get a new combi and 7 rads ...property is a 3 bed semi with thick sandstone walls and high ceilings (built circa 80-100 years ago)...with 1 bathroom (mixer shower and bath).and 2 occupants.....measured flowrates on the kitchen sink and upstairs bathroom (measured from the cold taps) and were 18 and 25 l/min respectively ...
So 1) can anyone direct me to an accurate BTU room calculator website?

Have had 2 local GSR/CH engineers round to quote...1st guy was a Baxi/Potterton guy and recommende the 33kW platinum (10 year warrabty) or pott.titanium (7 year warranty) for £100 cheaper
2nd guy recommended WB but could only offer 2 year warranty as it would be a 'homer'...both were ok fitting other makes.
Been looking at the Ideal Vogue 32kW (10 year warranty) and logic+ 35kW (7 year warranty) also and from reading threads on here they get some good reviews and they modulate lower than the baxi/potterton...I haven't missed the threads on the vogue gas injector o-ring problem...so should I stay clear of the vogue?

Other possibles are the vaillaint 837 plus...intergas eco rf 36 (5 year warranty and neither GSR is an intergas platinum installer ) and viessmann 200-w ...but both GSR's turned up their noses at the intergas ans viessmann,...pure sales patter I quietly concluded.

2) So what are your preferences on these boilers guys? I understand that you all have preferences due to good/bad experiences...I've been on a car forum for three years so I know how much opinions vary lol

3) also 2nd guy said that Ideal aftersales and tech back up was poor...any views on this?
Won't be going WB and am leaning towards one of the ideals or baxi/potterton..but am keeping a (relatively open mind) lol

I have picked up a lot of good info from you guys already by reading threads so thanks in advance.

Danny...Hamilton, Scotland

ps wasn't permitted to post on the CH forum

You won't have any problems with the Ideal Logic plus 35 kW, install a magnetic filter and you will be OK. The current 7 year warranty is running until 31/12/15 now. We do a 10 year warranty on the Logic plus at present. We are Accredited Installers for Ideal from Glasgow also and could quote accordingly.

Ideals after care team for me are pretty responsive. One of our terms of being AI is that we get priority service calls (next day if call made before 12noon).

Do not get a WB, value for money in comparison with the Logic plus is not worth it. (personal opinion)

ok thanks mcniven I'll speak to me mam about a 3rd quote and I've read too many negative reopts on WB's and with only a 2 year warranty (I know its more with WB accredited) then its def. off the radar and am more at ease with the Ideal tech back up....quick question to any out there ..magnaclean pro2 or twintech...or does it make no diff?

Hi there,
Have decided to get a new combi and 7 rads ...property is a 3 bed semi with thick sandstone walls and high ceilings (built circa 80-100 years ago)...with 1 bathroom (mixer shower and bath).and 2 occupants.....measured flowrates on the kitchen sink and upstairs bathroom (measured from the cold taps) and were 18 and 25 l/min respectively ...
So 1) can anyone direct me to an accurate BTU room calculator website?

Have had 2 local GSR/CH engineers round to quote...1st guy was a Baxi/Potterton guy and recommende the 33kW platinum (10 year warrabty) or pott.titanium (7 year warranty) for £100 cheaper
2nd guy recommended WB but could only offer 2 year warranty as it would be a 'homer'...both were ok fitting other makes.
Been looking at the Ideal Vogue 32kW (10 year warranty) and logic+ 35kW (7 year warranty) also and from reading threads on here they get some good reviews and they modulate ower than the baxi/potterton...I haven't missed the threads on the vogue gas injector o-ring problem...so should I stay clear of the vogue?

Other possibles are the vaillaint 837 plus...intergas eco rf 36 (5 year warranty and neither GSR is an intergas platinum installer ) and viessmann 200-w ...but both GSR's turned up their noses at the intergas ans viessmann,...pure sales patter I quietly concluded.

2) So what are your preferences on these boilers guys? I understand that you all have preferences due to good/bad experiences...I've been on a car forum for three years so I know how much opinions vary lol

3) also 2nd guy said that Ideal aftersales and tech back up was poor...any views on this?
Won't be going WB and am leaning towards one of the ideals or baxi/potterton..but am keeping a (relatively open mind) lol

I have picked up a lot of good info from you guys already by reading threads so thanks in advance.

Danny...Hamilton, Scotland

ps wasn't permitted to post on the CH forum
hi there I would go for the Viessmann as best heat exchanger on the market stainless steel the best over Ali heat exchangers,they don't fail and you you lose pressure all the time,buoy to last washers and seals last lifetime of the boiler,you willpay more for a Viessmann but that's quality for you.anyone that turns there nose up on a brand is either uneducated or had a bad experiance.
In fitting viessmanns since 2008 I have only called them out 3times due to silly things really. A standard 5year warranty with no issues,also some added warrantys have had issues a few years down then line,you have one pot of cash use it wisely and don't be brought in by big advertising.
If you're not sure go to the local plumbase get the Viessmann reps details have a chat go to a few properties where they have been fitted and get feed back,that's what I did and haven't looked back.I would go for Viessmann and intergas over any other brand! Good luck

Check the the guy doing the 'homer' has his own gas safe registration or he won't be able to sign off the boiler with gas safe & building control.
The Vogue O-ring is more of an inconvenience to the installer. It's not something that will effect the user.

Its probably best to choose the installer you think will do the best job and go with what they recommend.

Yeah scott he is a GSR for about 20 years ..I actually went to school with him ..he done an apprenticeship about 25 years ago the worked for BG for years and now with a private co. that installs WB but he'll fit what I ask...BG also subcontract his company to install baxis and potty's.

I like the viessman and intergas too but a non AI viessmann install is 3 year warranty (200-w)...I could push the intergas on him but I know he'll prefer baxi /pott and has alot of exp with his BG subcontracts......although there is an intergas vendor in Hamilton where I live...main thing is I don't buy an absolute 'dawg' of a boiler

Riley the twintech is a magnaclean...just wondering if its better than the pro2

thanks everyone so far....good website for calculating room BTU's anyone?

sorry scott_d I see what you're saying now about the registartion ..is it under the company name or his own? ok I'll ask him tommorrow night when he said he'll give the quote

Jay Jay I'm with you on the viessmann and intergas but its not my money paying for this ..its for dear old mammy...thought I'd ensure she got a good boiler+ CH system and installed well...if it were my money...viessmann intergas or perhaps vallaint

Riley the twintech is a magnaclean...just wondering if its better than the pro2

sorry dannay helps if I read the post properly. I've fitted both and can say I've had no probs with either. The pro 2 is easier for dosing your system with Chems in the future.

wee update here...its just as scotty_d said it was ...the 2nd quote from the guy doing the 'homer' his registration is under his company's name and not his own....is this an issue? please advise

wee update here...its just as scotty_d said it was ...the 2nd quote from the guy doing the 'homer' his registration is under his company's name and not his own....is this an issue? please advise

Only an issue if you want to comply with the law and have the boiler registered and want a warranty on the boiler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Getting new combi + rads...advice welcome in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock