Search the forum,

Discuss Getting hot water when central heating is on in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, hot water is switched off however when central heating is switched on, there is hot water too, can anyone tell me why this is happening g

Ok, do you know the difference between a combi boiler or a conventional boiler ?
combi heats your water almost straightaway has no tanks in roof. conventional set up
is with roof tanks and a big cylinder in a cupboard somewhere upstairs...let us know
and we can help you. centralheatking

Likely that the valve with the big silver head that is at fault. You may have 1 or two of these valves, near the pump and or cylinder? Does this part sound familiar?

Likely that the valve with the big silver head that is at fault. You may have 1 or two of these valves, near the pump and or cylinder? Does this part sound familiar?
Not familiar, have added a couple of pics

Attachments

• 5410CA10-1AFD-4DBB-A9F0-4113754D51E9.jpeg
    5410CA10-1AFD-4DBB-A9F0-4113754D51E9.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 14
  • FB1304FD-1CE7-4B8E-8F3D-C1A77FD63EE4.jpeg
    FB1304FD-1CE7-4B8E-8F3D-C1A77FD63EE4.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 15
Hi. I would look at the valve with the brass bottom and white head. Looks like a 3 port. Probably stuck in the mid position.

When say you have hot water when the heating is on. Do you mean the cylinder is still heating up whilst only in CH mode? I ask because you should have hot water regardless as to having the heating on or off. As you have a Y plan set up so you have a cylinder full of stored hot water, ready to use throughout the day as & when required and is normal. If however your cylinder is heating up when not in hot water mode then your 3 port motorised valve is more than likely to be faulty and not responding to commands.

When say you have hot water when the heating is on. Do you mean the cylinder is still heating up whilst only in CH mode? I ask because you should have hot water regardless as to having the heating on or off. As you have a Y plan set up so you have a cylinder full of stored hot water, ready to use throughout the day as & when required and is normal. If however your cylinder is heating up when not in hot water mode then your 3 port motorised valve is more than likely to be faulty and not responding to commands.
ok think I kind of get what your saying but, why do I have a timer box (not sure of the correct terminology), whereby I can set the time for hot water separately to the central heating To come on. Have attached image. I have also noticed that the actuator has now moved to ‘H’, whereas earlier it was set at ‘W’

Attachments

• 7BB8062C-2374-4805-ABF9-936755881A0F.jpeg
    7BB8062C-2374-4805-ABF9-936755881A0F.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 7
  • F7F2572C-9E7A-4B81-A5BD-53E80ACF0B30.jpeg
    F7F2572C-9E7A-4B81-A5BD-53E80ACF0B30.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4
It is controlled by the timer and the thermostats, but yours being a mid position valve means that if cylinder isn’t up to temperature you will get it to heat cylinder as well. Hot water always gets priority. Only way to change this would be to change valve or make it into S plan system

It is controlled by the timer and the thermostats, but yours being a mid position valve means that if cylinder isn’t up to temperature you will get it to heat cylinder as well. Hot water always gets priority. Only way to change this would be to change valve or make it into S plan system
Thank you, I will get it changed to an S plan. I’m away from home a lot during the winter, therefore would not use the hot water, the only thing that I want running in the winter is the heating. Are you able to confirm roughly the going rate to change to a S plan.

Reply to Getting hot water when central heating is on in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock