Search the forum,

Discuss Gate Valves turning - or are they balls? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

Well that’s the new pump and gate valves in.

These are the valves

Pegler Pump Valves 22mm x 1½

Should they just be turned 90 deg?

Or open them until they stop?

Many thanks!

Never fitted them. I would of used these to be honest mate.

6527581D-89E1-4C27-8C75-60337A4C035A.png

Thanks to you bot, much appreciated.

I spun them both ways quite a bit, will this cause any concern?

Those are the best pump valves you can get. They will always close fully, and won't seize, or weep.
I have used them and keep some as spares.
They are basically identical to full flow lever valves, only top quality.
The ball will not be damaged if turned lots and the seal is hard ptfe.
Only one drawback of them is the large pump nut cannot be removed or replaced, like with ordinary pump gate valves.
The spindle should be flat side parallel with valve.
Strange you have to ask that question when you are the person who installed them though! o_O

Those are the best pump valves you can get. They will always close fully, and won't seize, or weep.
I have used them and keep some as spares.
They are basically identical to full flow lever valves, only top quality.
The ball will not be damaged if turned lots and the seal is hard ptfe.
Only one drawback of them is the large pump nut cannot be removed or replaced, like with ordinary pump gate valves.
The spindle should be flat side parallel with valve.
Strange you have to ask that question when you are the person who installed them though! o_O
I will use them from now on sounds like they are awesome. Never even seen them before.

I've seen spherical pump valves before. Seized solid, mind you this was at a house I lived in in 1995, so perhaps the new ones will be better?

You can also get similar pump valves that have stubby handles on (they look like the valves that are on mag filters)
I think Williams supplied them and Ray had put a link on this forum about same

I've seen spherical pump valves before. Seized solid, mind you this was at a house I lived in in 1995, so perhaps the new ones will be better?

Most are absolute garbage and ALWAYS leak when turned.
However, Pegler are quality. When I did installs, I always used Pegler valves (at least 4 to 5 times more expensive than the others), but not 1/4 turn PV's - simply because I never thought of them. They should be good - thet are £14 a pair from Screwfix

When I installed a Fernox Boiler Buddy filter for my brother, I made sure I fitted those Pegler pump valves. Boiler Buddies fit between two gate valves the same as a pump would.

I knew I would be relying on those valves regularly to isolate so that the BB can be removed for cleaning. They turn easily (1/4 turn), and have never wept or seized since fitted.

Not cheap, but grief free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gate Valves turning - or are they balls? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock