• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss Gate Valve on CH Flow/Return Loop in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

After some consideration 15mm plastic with small lengths of copper up to the rads is what will be installed. Thanks to @Knappers for the suggestion and @Last Plumber for the numbers and explanations.

Getting 15mm copper in as @Ben-gee suggested was considered but rejected on practical grounds as above. It’s cramped enough in the crawl space without adding solid lengths of copper and soldering into the mix.

Switching to s-plan as suggested by @SimonG was considered but again rejected, mainly because I don’t see what benefits it offers if the system is already installed as y-plan. I’ve searched the forums and elsewhere and the general opinion seems to be stick with the existing unless the entire system is being redone.

Finally, as it seems to serve no purpose I think I’m going to cut out the loop with the gate valve in it and extend the drain point back to just after the last radiator tee. That saves heating 2-3m of water that seems to be doing nothing.

Reply to Gate Valve on CH Flow/Return Loop in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net