Search the forum,

Discuss Gasqet.com washers? Anyone used them? in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

I've found this website called gasqet.com. They make 3D printed washers made out of a different plastic that is higher spec apparently, so it's a lot stronger, and recyclable (though why you'd want to, I have no idea). But they are the same price as normal washers.

Has anyone tried them out? It sounds too good to be true

They don't appear to be useful sizes for general plumbing applications such as taps etc. In any case, I'd suggest that taps are usually fitted (though not invariably) with the best type of rubber washer for the job. A harder washer might not seal as well or might lead to premature wear of the valve seat/thread etc. The Victorian principle of the weak link is that the part most prone to failure should be cheap and easy to replace and I think it best that the washer be the weak link.

Even in my own house where my labour is free and the tools are on hand, I generally strip, descale, and inspect taps every 5 years. I inspect the wahsers. They rarely need replacing and even though I have them on hand I do not, consequently, always replace them. The main point of this is that I live in a hard water area and this prevents the mechanisms from getting stiff and the tap and body getting seized to the point that dismantling cannot be carried out without cosmetic damage.

Given that washers usually last at least 10 years (there are exceptions, particularly if your family has the bad habit of overtightening the taps - possibly a learnt response to having had taps at some part in their lives that were in poor condition and thus tended to drip otherwise?), I'm not sure what the advantage vs possible pitfalls is in having a washer that lasts longer than 10 years, since the remaining maintenance is still desirable.

Reply to Gasqet.com washers? Anyone used them? in the Plumbing Tools area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
  • Question
Does anyone out there have a JTP shower or JTP taps installed? (previously known as Just Taps Plus). Have you found a JTP shower and taps durable and reliable for years after installation? And straightforward to install? JTP is being offered by a number of our local bathroom retailers and...
Replies
Views
W
  • Question
I'm looking to put an extra column radiator in my living room and when doing my research found one secondhand on Facebook marketplace that I figured could help me save some money on what can be expensive radiators. Anyway, the advert had a link to the sale page for the radiator...
Replies
Views
Wes Moore
W
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not many have a sub to Telegraph (neither do I) but this is the article in full. As for the statement by BG, I haven't corroborated it but it seems an odd...
Replies
Views
Recently over the past 2 months, the boiler or area by the water tank has started making a loud groaning noise whenever hot water has been running for much over a minute (sometimes less). Since the weather has gotten cooler, the radiators seem to come on (unless turned off at the TRV) whenever a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Evening Hopefully you're not sick of this type of question! I've had a few quotes for a boiler upgrade (going from a regular boiler (~15 yrs old, on its last legs) to a combi) - all recommending different brand/model of boiler, and all company's are saying that their recommendation is the best...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 131795
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock