Search the forum,

Discuss Gas work certification. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

My son has a tame Bg gas engineer he uses.
He is planning on getting him to replace his boiler and install gas hob in new kitchen .
I have told him to ensure the gas engineer issues a valid certificate which he will need for insurance etc .
But my concern is he legally do this work privately?

Well I assume he will know the score so hopefully it will have a happy ending.
I was 30 years with gas safe but deregistered a couple of years ago when I retired so I'm a bit out of touch.

BG guys are obviously qualified but they must have their own reg , if they have not , they cannot register the boiler .
I have a pal whos BG but he only does repairs , he cant replace a boiler.

It wasn’t meant in that way mate. I meant he doesn’t choose to or never has.

Lol , hes better off on repairs , IMO nobody comes close on repairs as a BG guy , hes superb , makes me look a right t*t lol , mind you thats not hard .
He does do the odd instal , but cant register them , I suppose as long as his customer isnt bothered he isnt , but with long warrentys available these days they must be regestered .

Could be a BG contractor ? if hes a employee then they will take a dim view of this, he needs his own registration and qualified in the elements hes working in ask to see his Gas safe ID . Kop

Lol , hes better off on repairs , IMO nobody comes close on repairs as a BG guy , hes superb , makes me look a right t*t lol , mind you thats not hard .
He does do the odd instal , but cant register them , I suppose as long as his customer isnt bothered he isnt , but with long warrentys available these days they must be regestered .
He shouldn’t be fitting them then mate.

I'm sure I've seen a post from an Ex employed BG guy saying they weren't allowed to have registration in their own name.
And I've just searched and it's mentioned on another forum although that was 2010.

Lol , hes better off on repairs , IMO nobody comes close on repairs as a BG guy ,

BG guys are not as good as they used to be. I've followed many around that have said it's sludge I go in repair something nothing to do with sludge and steal their customers. Things like ionisation probe etc it seems they are more interested in selling things like £1400 powerflush. Or that's WHAT it seems down here.

BG guys are not as good as they used to be. I've followed many around that have said it's sludge I go in repair something nothing to do with sludge and steal their customers. Things like ionisation probe etc it seems they are more interested in selling things like £1400 powerflush. Or that's WHAT it seems down here.

Same here, seems those BG guys are more interested in getting their sales bonuses than actually repairing anything. I went to one on Friday where the BG engineer tried to tell the homeowner their boiler was beyond repair and they needed a new one installed, when actually it was still in its manufacturers warranty period.

Same here, seems those BG guys are more interested in getting their sales bonuses than actually repairing anything. I went to one on Friday where the BG engineer tried to tell the homeowner their boiler was beyond repair and they needed a new one installed, when actually it was still in its manufacturers warranty period.
BG guys are pushed by their bosses to go for sales even as far back when i was still there in the 90's whether its contracts or flushes or replacements sometimes its the easiest option for the engineer but not the best for the customer. when i started there in the 70's it was repairs stuff rather than push to replace. all changed when privatised, profits rule.

It's all change at BG, im ex BG and left because the targets and management. Loads of the experienced guys and girls have left and they now use contractors to cover some of the work. There service guys just follow laptop instructions now. Service is just gas rate, combustion and fan pressure......many boilers now need seals replacing after so many years etc.

Greedy greedy

My son has a tame Bg gas engineer he uses.
He is planning on getting him to replace his boiler and install gas hob in new kitchen .
I have told him to ensure the gas engineer issues a valid certificate which he will need for insurance etc .
But my concern is he legally do this work privately?

Cutting through all the other stuff.

An employee cannot legally work on his own jobs without their own registration. They are classed as Operatives of the company.

Gas Safe rules demand the registration of a fitted heat producing appliance, an Operative obviously cannot do this.

BG absolutely do not allow employees to have their own Reg, and if an existing RGI gains BG employment, he is required as a condition of service to cancel it.

If he is a contractor, then he is free to do as he wishes. But he would then not be a “tame” BG guy. If that is the case then the term is even more condanceding.

To sum up, if he is a BG guy, then he should not be doing it, and your son, without the boiler being properly registered, will have warranty issues.

Cutting through all the other stuff.

An employee cannot legally work on his own jobs without their own registration. They are classed as Operatives of the company.

Gas Safe rules demand the registration of a fitted heat producing appliance, an Operative obviously cannot do this.

BG absolutely do not allow employees to have their own Reg, and if an existing RGI gains BG employment, he is required as a condition of service to cancel it.

If he is a contractor, then he is free to do as he wishes. But he would then not be a “tame” BG guy. If that is the case then the term is even more condanceding.

To sum up, if he is a BG guy, then he should not be doing it, and your son, without the boiler being properly registered, will have warranty issues.
Thank you for your input, it pretty much coincides with my understanding of the regs, I did point out that if there was any question mark over the legalities then that would likely impinge on the warranty.
I will have a conversation with my lad and explain again its a risky option .

Reply to Gas work certification. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Inexplicably a wok gas hob on my cooker is stuck - I have been unable to pull it out even with a crowbar (I kept the tension exerted to reasonable levels). That wok hob has never worked properly, i.e. the flame that came out of it when the cooker was brand new, was too weak for proper...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hello I’d like to replace gas cooker. Curry’s do install but I know they will refuse to install if regs are not met. So I want to understand whether the proposed location is acceptable to qualified gas safe fitter. I can’t find official, definitive list of regs anywhere. Can you point me to...
Replies
Views
Hi, just a quick query (hopefully). We’ve got a combi boiler installed in a cupboard with the flue going 90° then directly through the external wall to where it terminates. We’ve had numerous gas safety certificates for it over the years with having lodgers etc, but we’re about to sell the house...
Replies
Views
J
Hi all, I am a plumber but I do not carry out works to boilers as the majority of my is bathrooms so I am not gas safe. I have completed a bathroom for a regular customer. She is of old age and is starting to get a little clumsy and her son has asked me to look at the old gas fire/back...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock