Search the forum,

Discuss gas valve creates clanging noise in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Looking for some advice on how to get rid of some noise our gas valve is making. Our natural gas fired boiler uses a Honeywell VR8304M4507 gas valve. The boiler is in a 1200 sq ft unfinished basement. The gas feed enter the home at one corner and the boiler is in the opposite corner. So iron pipe carries natural gas about 80 lineal feet to the boiler (30 across and then 50 back). Our bedroom is over the basement. When the thermostat in our room calls for heat, we distinctively hear 2 ’clangs’, which I assume are the two automatic valves opening. When the boiler reaches temperature or the thermostat is satisfied, we hear another much louder “clang/bang”.

I have little doubt the noise is caused by the sound of the valve echoing through this long stretch of pipe. When we moved into the house I was able to hear the zone valve for our bedroom zone “whirring“ open. I got rid of that by putting a small section of pex in that return line. I guess the sound is able to escape or is absorbed by the plastic. I assume we are having a similar problem with the sound of the gas valve through the long stretch of pipe. So, what should we do? Replace the gas valve? Can we put some plastic underground pipe somewhere? Anyone with any experience with this would be helpful. From what I can tell, most people do not have a boiler that is so far away from where the feed enters their home.

Thanks to all.

Reply to gas valve creates clanging noise in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
In our sealed Megalo system, when hot water tap is used (say in bathroom shower) the megaflo is taking in some fresh water, I guess to compensate for the water used. The incoming water go via a pressure relief valve [most likely its this one: Heatrae Sadia 8 Bar Pressure Relief Valve -...
Replies
Views
the majority of my radiators have thermostatic valves. Some of these work fine but some of them dont let you adjust the temp. ie. Setting one or setting 5 makes no difference - the radiator is blazing hot. For small bedrooms this is pain cos the room just heats up too much. we first...
Replies
Views
Hi, hope someone can help with this. My central heating system has a Worcester gas combi boiler, paired with a nest thermostat and a megaflo cylinder. When the boiler starts in the morning, the radiators start to warm up ok, but this is accompanied by a loud whining of the pipes attached to the...
Replies
Views
Our House is now fully Heat Pumped, insulated and we have had the Gas Meter Removed. We have a 1950s foldaway Cannon Gas Grill which is on the wall above the AEG Induction hob with 1 Gas burner. It worked very well on Natural gas. We have had the local gas co. install an LPG supply using...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock