Search the forum,

Discuss Gas stove DIY modification - is this safe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I’m a hobby chef with a passion for Asian cooking, hence was looking for a way to tweaking my domestic gas hob to do a better job when cooking with a wok. The problem is that the largest flame on my hob is too widespread to generate the centric heat needed for a proper stir fry.

I modified a stainless steel cake ring to “funnel” the flame, see pictures attached. I assume most professional gas engineers will strongly advise against any form of modifications of this kind, but I was hoping for some judgement from the community, whether I’m putting my health and safety at serious risk here. I understand this could potentially generate incomplete combustion and hence carbon monoxide, although the flame is mostly blue, so should I be concerned about this at all or are there other aspects I might ‘or be considering that make this project a rather stupid idea altogether?

Thanks for your feedback.
Julian

AD19C4DB-FB59-482A-A805-E27FD1715757.jpeg0C6FA265-F45F-4D78-88A6-10D278271FDA.jpeg085299C3-67E1-48CA-A23D-BC824FE79E5D.jpeg

The problem is that the largest flame on my hob is too widespread to generate the centric heat needed for a proper stir fry.
You need to get your hob replaced with one that has a purpose designed 'wok burner'. These usually have the wok burner in the centre and four conventional burners at the corners. Installation needs to be carried out by a registered gas intaller.

I assume most professional gas engineers will strongly advise against any form of modifications of this kind,

You are correct.

I was hoping for some judgement from the community.
You are knowingly putting yourself and your family at risk of death or serious injury for the sake of your hobby. Cut it out now.

Don`t do gas myself but advise you to buy a wok converter ring from the likes of Amazon rather than make one.

You can buy a separate wok burner that runs off a small cylinder, bit like a camping stove. This gets around the issue of having to modify a gas appliance.

I actually can't be arsed to go into the legal/safety aspect. I don't design stoves for a living, nor do I have an academic background in stove design.

closed as you shouldnt be modifying a gas appliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas stove DIY modification - is this safe? in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock