Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Safety - Cutting off gas in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all

If you have a gas safety inspection and the installation is not safe then it needs capping off with a certificate issued. Is the engineer allowed to charge more for capping off or is that part of the inspection fee? I've had some that charge and some that don't. If it's acceptable then that's no problem (just want to be sure).

Thanks

I would just be happy to be capping it off and issuing the warning and advice notice. I am covering my backside by doing it so, what's 5 mins and a meter cap or fitting in exchange for a good night's sleep. Likely to get any repair work off the back of it too.

Last edited:
It depends what was involved in order to cap it off. If its capped at the meter we do not charge. But if the instalation is to be kept in use because there are more than one appliance dependent on it and it requires furniture, carpets, floorboards or cupboards moving to be able to safely cap off the offending appliance and then all put back again after the work. Then there would be an extra charge. Generally if it is going to take more than 30min to cap off then we charge for the extra time.

If a gas system needs capping off then it must be carried out regardless of the cost time and labour
thats why engineers are gsr etc. Overall just make sure you charge enough to cover these events.
centralheatking

If a gas system needs capping off then it must be carried out regardless of the cost time and labour
thats why engineers are 'Registered Professional Gas Engineer' etc. Overall just make sure you charge enough to cover these events.
centralheatking
We must have id 100's ..maybe more x 10 .Jimbo has had them out in the road to cap off a few times to do it there as there was no access or nasty residents. Residents who knew quaked when the Jimbo truck turned up
Luckily for them Jimbo has just retired but is still on my team as a clear up supervisor but still GSR
UNTIL NEXT oops this year ...centralheatking

Reply to Gas Safety - Cutting off gas in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by the previous owner, they decided to run pipes all along the edge of the garage floor... I do however have one that goes vertically out of the concrete...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m hoping for some perceptive / input as I’m a long-distance landlord trying to unpick the best thing to do. Gas safety certificate was done on my rental flat (1st floor) which has a 10 year old Aviston E-combi EVO boiler. It failed based on rusting external flu components, which has...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi, just a quick query (hopefully). We’ve got a combi boiler installed in a cupboard with the flue going 90° then directly through the external wall to where it terminates. We’ve had numerous gas safety certificates for it over the years with having lodgers etc, but we’re about to sell the house...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Not sure if it's a plumbers job or another trade but thought I'd ask. I am installing a new toilet downstairs next to an outside wall. There is a 3 way inspection/access chamber about 1.5 metres outside this point which I plan on going into. It has one inlet in use from the upstairs WC...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock