Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Safe Engineer doing a foreigner - what should I ask? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

so after asking the relevent questions of the engineer in question:

1. He is qualified.
2. He is GS Registered with the company he works for in his day job.
3. He is not registered separately in his own name.
4. He would carry out the work but under his "good friends" registration :eek:!
5. He has done loads of work like this.
6. He doesn't have PL insurance and doesnt believe he needs it. Not that I believe he could get covered in these circumstances anyway.
7. He has never had any issues but is local and would sort out any problems that arose. Including I suppose re-building the house should it burn down, blow up, or flood and invalidate the homeowners insurance.

Obviously I politely passed on this engineer.

Thank you to everyone who provided advice so I could make an informed decision.

Now I am off to do battle with Homeserve to see if I can get them to give me a reasonable quote.

1. He is qualified.
6. He doesn't have PL insurance and doesnt believe he needs it. Not that I believe he could get covered in these circumstances anyway.
7. He has never had any issues but is local and would sort out any problems that arose. Including I suppose re-building the house should it burn down, blow up, or flood and invalidate the homeowners insurance.

Now I am off to do battle with Homeserve to see if I can get them to give me a reasonable quote.

1 pass his details on to gas safe and the tax man and maybe his boss.

2 dont use homeserve for your boiler change look on gas safe website to get local businesses and get a few quotes.

Totally agreed this bloke is a chancer and is breaking all sorts of rules

1. He is qualified.

Why even bother with HS? Ask around for a recommended reliable independent.

in this case i think you are correct, but i don't really understand how someone else can be a competent person then when they leave work suddenly they become incompetent.

In the eyes of the law to be deemed competent you must have a gas safe registration for the work you are carrying out. You are deemed incompetent if you do not have it. If you have it through work but do private jobs without then they will assume that you know you must be registered to work on it and then punish you more for it.

It doesnt matter if you are competent or not if you are not registered then you shouldn't be working on gas.

It doesnt matter if you are competent or not if you are not registered then you shouldn't be working on gas.

Not entirely true. If your doing favours for family or friends and aren't making profit on the work, then you don't need to be registered to legally work on gas.

Not entirely true. If your doing favours for family or friends and aren't making profit on the work, then you don't need to be registered to legally work on gas.

This isn't about doing an unpaid job for friends or family though. I also dont see how your going to prove you weren't getting paid for it. I have heard the taxman says you owe us this and you have to prove them otherwise obviously with no receipts etc no proof of how much work you have done and I can see gas safe being the same. Obviously they wont do anything just make you join so they can take £200 a year off you.

And again it’s daft how easily this problem could be made to go away by having a clear line. If you don’t have a Gas safe card you cannot work on gas simple. None of this competence rubbish that is open to misinterpretation and abuse

And again it’s daft how easily this problem could be made to go away by having a clear line. If you don’t have a Gas safe card you cannot work on gas simple. None of this competence rubbish that is open to misinterpretation and abuse

I think they should remove people for a year or 2 for working outside of their registration first time and if they do it again then remove permanently. Gas safe have the teeth of a slug and people know that.

Installer: Oh I've got caught I will pay the £500 registration fee then.
Gas safe: oh thank you your good to go.

which law exactly? The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 state that you must be a competent person to work on gas appliances. The Gas Safe Register is not mentioned in any UK legislation, being on the register is a good way to prove that you are a competent person.

And in the eyes of the law being gas safe registered is the only acceptable proof that you are deemed a competent person.

I thought it was your acs that deemed you competent and Gas safe allows you to work for remuneration?
Yes but you can't turn up at someone's house and show them your acs certificates can you. You have to be registered to legally work as a business, but it also shows your customers you are competent to work on gas.

It’s somantics though under current rules this engineer doesn’t meet the required criteria in order to install a boiler under his own name

Yes mate I get that, but under gsiur you are allowed to be competent, and not be a member of an approved of an approved class of persons (currently gas safe) if working without financial reward or gain. He should indeed have his own gas safe registration to carry out this job as he’s quoted for it.

Yes but you can't turn up at someone's house and show them your acs certificates can you. You have to be registered to legally work as a business, but it also shows your customers you are competent to work on gas.

Yes I get that as well. Businesses whether self employed or not carrying out gas fitting work for financial reward or gain (which is what he’s doing) must be a member of an approved class of persons - currently gas safe.

So I’m not sure I get your argument we are in agreement that in this case the bloke can’t do the job and that was the question. I’m sick of the competent grey area

So I’m not sure I get your argument we are in agreement that in this case the bloke can’t do the job and that was the question. I’m sick of the competent grey area

It’s not an argument, just quoting what is in gsiur. We agree on the fact that the bloke can’t do the job because he’s earning money from it without his own registration yes. However I don’t have my own gas safe registration, I work for a company who is registered, yet if I leave it doesn’t make me incompetent.

But again I don’t disagree with you mate??? I’d hope you wouldn’t carry out work without your own card though

I think the most important thing apart from actually being competent, is proof of competence and a gas safe registration does that, in theory at least and legally speaking that is enough.

Its all about insurance and warranty's
We have the same issues over here.

You can work for a company as a registered plumber and you are covered by their insurance.
You work for yourself, you have to have insurance for the work that you do.

Plenty of registered Plumbers have come unstuck performing work they are covered for working for a Boss, but not covered for working for themselves on the side.

Home owners aren't going to hush up if there is an insurance claim, or warranty claim, on their property regarding work done by a non insured plumber. They will fess up to who did the work and sue him / her for costs of repairs.

Its all about insurance and warranty's
We have the same issues over here.

You can work for a company as a registered plumber and you are covered by their insurance.
You work for yourself, you have to have insurance for the work that you do.

Plenty of registered Plumbers have come unstuck performing work they are covered for working for a Boss, but not covered for working for themselves on the side.

Home owners aren't going to hush up if there is an insurance claim, or warranty claim, on their property regarding work done by a non insured plumber. They will fess up to who did the work and sue him / her for costs of repairs.

Problem is pay cash no receipts etc no proof they have worked in your property then then case to sue them.

Reply to Gas Safe Engineer doing a foreigner - what should I ask? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock