Search the forum,

Discuss gas safe and buildings control not notified of new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

faz0070

Hi all, I just had a new combi boiler installed last week. The gas fitter was registered with gas safe . I didn't check his I'D which I should have but checked his business on gas safe register and was satisfied That the business and he is registered and his photo also matched him. I am now concerned about him as he has not commissioned my boiler and filled the benchmark. He insted just signed the warranty card which I later found that it would be invalid without the benchmark!
Another problem is that he has not informed gas safe about this work so buildings control would not also know about this. I asked him once about buildings control and he laughed it off saying saying it was complete rip off for me as buildings control would charge me £480 for the certificate and that would-be a waste of time for me. I am concerned now and don't believe he is genuine . would buildings control really charge me £480 for this ? Or was he just lying to me just to get away with it ? I am already in a dispute with him. How do I sort out warranty for my new boiler ? hope you guys can guide me on this. Thanks

It would cost him £2.50 to register the install through gas safe.

He's being evasive, probably because you're in dispute with him. It's a legal requirement in England and Wales to notify new installs but the onus falls on the customer to ensure that, it isn't technically his responsibility though it's usually part of the service.
You can register it yourself with building control but it would be expensive though not to the tune of £480.

It's mandatory that he fills in the benchmark though.

Sort your differences, he's witholding your cert.

Thank you hybrid. on day of completion I asked him everything about benchmark etc and also gas safety certificate but he stated that none of those were needed as he signed the warranty ! He gave me a hand written invoice for the amount to pay . he confirmed That the job was complete. However I was short of some money £200 and asked if I could pay on payday next week and he agreed on that. I haven't paid that money yet and my concern is that his intention was to walk away with my money without professionally and legally completing the work. I really don't understand why he doesn't want to inform gas safe about this installation as you said it only costs him £2.50 ! Any way I still have his remainder money and I don't know how to play this. I have already shown my anger to him and he knows that we are in a dispute. Thanks anyway

Thank you hybrid. on day of completion I asked him everything about benchmark etc and also gas safety certificate but he stated that none of those were needed as he signed the warranty ! He gave me a hand written invoice for the amount to pay . he confirmed That the job was complete. However I was short of some money £200 and asked if I could pay on payday next week and he agreed on that. I haven't paid that money yet and my concern is that his intention was to walk away with my money without professionally and legally completing the work. I really don't understand why he doesn't want to inform gas safe about this installation as you said it only costs him £2.50 ! Any way I still have his remainder money and I don't know how to play this. I have already shown my anger to him and he knows that we are in a dispute. Thanks anyway

Did you tell him before starting the job that you didn't have the money to pay him? This would be an issue for most installers on here, we need to be paid for the work we carry out. No wonder you have issues with him.

Get him to sign something saying he will complete all paperwork and register the appliance once full paid, then pay him.

IMO

if you'd failed to pay me on completion I would not be getting into an argument with you , I simply would pass your details onto my debt recovery company and have done with it. too many customers forgot how much we shell out before even starting and that we go to work to feed our own families.

I went to customer which had boiler installed back in 2010. No benchmark filled. I needed to check whole install as they are planning to sell the house and they need boiler registered with building control. Had to rectify few things but once done I registered appliance on gas safe. Building control charges few hundred pounds for that. Be honest, I don't want to do it anymore, taking responsibility for someones work. So hopefully you get it sorted with original installer. Good luck pal

Hi all, I just had a new combi boiler installed last week. The gas fitter was registered with gas safe . I didn't check his I'D which I should have but checked his business on gas safe register and was satisfied That the business and he is registered and his photo also matched him. I am now concerned about him as he has not commissioned my boiler and filled the benchmark. He insted just signed the warranty card which I later found that it would be invalid without the benchmark!
Another problem is that he has not informed gas safe about this work so buildings control would not also know about this. I asked him once about buildings control and he laughed it off saying saying it was complete rip off for me as buildings control would charge me £480 for the certificate and that would-be a waste of time for me. I am concerned now and don't believe he is genuine . would buildings control really charge me £480 for this ? Or was he just lying to me just to get away with it ? I am already in a dispute with him. How do I sort out warranty for my new boiler ? hope you guys can guide me on this. Thanks
catch 22 if u owed me 200 i would not register the boiler why should i after final payment i would register .if u think the guys work is unsafe call gassafe and get a free check done.
altho if it was me working for you and i had worked hard and done the work to the preagreed price i would feel rather put out not the get the payment fron the job ..

tell the installer you have phone the manufacture and they have told you that the boiler must have the benchmark filled out to prove it has been commissioned correctly and registered with building control.

to be honest any engineer that does not correctly commission and fill out the benchmark is a cowboy in my eyes.

it seems simple, pay him the money and tell him to correctly fill out the paperwork as required.

Last edited:
What do you do with a worcs cdi regular? No benchmark with that boiler. They used to enclose the blue card one but no longer.
I just write down the inlet pressure, gas rate and fga results and sign it on the blank page at the back.

I really don't understand why he doesn't want to inform gas safe about this installation as you said it only costs him £2.50 !

One possible reason is that some gas fitters don't trust Gas Safe with the details of their customers. Corgi abused the trust that registered fitters put in them by taking the details of installations and using it to sell service plans, effectively taking business away from the tradesmen who registered through them.
There's no sign of Gas Safe doing the same but Corgi has left a bitter aftertaste with some.

Last edited by a moderator:
its more likely to be his been paid cash and doesnt want to declare it and doesnt want to register and leave evidence
dont you know paying cash is immoral according to an mp ,can i use morals and politician in the same sentence?

I would say that your best bet is to get him back, ask him to fill out paperwork and you hand over the money once he has done it. do not get annoyed or shout at him, simply explain what you want and when.

IMO i would not pay him until he has signed the paperwork, fair enough that you should of paid on completion but he shouldnt of refused to fill out the paperwork.

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other in my opinion, sit down and sort it out. If he refuses then you know he is being a pain and can use the £200 to pay someone else to commision it

Telling him you couldnt pay the full amount before he started work would have been a far more honest way to do business - I wouldn't be paying a penny more on your behalf now until you'd paid your bill !

I had a similar one the other day, was doing a boiler swap for a landlord, painted turned up asking for him saying he owes him money and he is a realy bad payer and did I have his number etc.
Next thing I was on the phone to landlord asking for deposit (which he paid immediately)
Then when I'd finished I said in order for me to register the guarantee and sign off the benchmark I would need the full amount paid first. He then paid straight away. I happily went back and sorted the paperwork. My point is that when a job is done you expect payment, you cant go into a garage and get your car without paying for the job so why should a boiler change be any different.
I think he has every right to refuse to complete untill the money is paid. There is no need for you to both get into a dispute, if you paid he should complete the benchmark, simple

I had a similar one the other day, was doing a boiler swap for a landlord, painted turned up asking for him saying he owes him money and he is a realy bad payer and did I have his number etc.
Next thing I was on the phone to landlord asking for deposit (which he paid immediately)
Then when I'd finished I said in order for me to register the guarantee and sign off the benchmark I would need the full amount paid first. He then paid straight away. I happily went back and sorted the paperwork. My point is that when a job is done you expect payment, you cant go into a garage and get your car without paying for the job so why should a boiler change be any different.
I think he has every right to refuse to complete untill the money is paid. There is no need for you to both get into a dispute, if you paid he should complete the benchmark, simple

I'm sorry it was not about the payment at all as this was all agreed prior to completing the job. However he conned me and he made it clear that he doesn't need to do any benchmark or register this with gas safe. If he had made it clear that he would complete the paper work after receiving the final payment then that would be fair and understandable. His intentions were clear as he tried to walk away with my hard earned cash !

....But the job is not complete and I am willing to pay him for that. Sorry guys, but I am Here to get advice and opinion, if I wanted to rip him off and not pay him then I would not write on this forum thread.

I'm sorry it was not about the payment at all as this was all agreed prior to completing the job. However he conned me and he made it clear that he doesn't need to do any benchmark or register this with gas safe. If he had made it clear that he would complete the paper work after receiving the final payment then that would be fair and understandable. His intentions were clear as he tried to walk away with my hard earned cash !

Sorry dont agree with this reply. Sounds to me you tryed to walk away with his hard earned cash. You have a new boiler and are holding back £200. No wonder he wont complete the paperwork. Pay the guy the money and he should register the boiler. If not contact HMRC to report him working for cash and get onto Gas Safe also.

Simples.

Sorry dont agree with this reply. Sounds to me you tryed to walk away with his hard earned cash. You have a new boiler and are holding back £200. No wonder he wont complete the paperwork. Pay the guy the money and he should register the boiler. If not contact HMRC to report him working for cash and get onto Gas Safe also.

Simples.

like wise.
i would not be too happy if i was not paid the £200 as this could be the only money i make from the job, so, if he has done you a cheap job ie, you went for the lowest quote?.
then the guy is doing a 'cash in hand' job and you want bells and whistles from it. but i could be wrong?. i know a few good installers who still do not do a bench mark but follow the boiler up untill end of warrentee themselves.
i certainly do not provide any of the aformentioned unless i get full payment first, then i have the cert delivered to me directly.

building cert coincidently will set you back £240 ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be inclined to put it in writing to the installer that on receipt of the Building control certificate from Gas Safe and the completion of the Benchmark entries. You will pay him the otstanding balance.
You need to reach some sort of agreement amicably. If he is not in agreement with this and won't complete, I would then mention HMRC in any subsequent conversation. If he's reluctant to complete the chances are he's avoiding paying income tax. This can be one of the drawbacks of paying in cash. As for an MP lecturing on the morality of cash payments, well you just couldn't make it up could you?

IMO if you can't afford the whole cost of the job then either wait until you can or go to BG and pay double on the never-never.
Sounds to me that your trying to avoid paying what you owe!

Just pay him what you owe then if you don't get the boiler registered contact gas safe, next time you're in Tesco's tell them you'll pay them next week when you get paid and see what response you get there.

to be honest if someone turned around and said they didnt have my money i'd disconnect the boiler from the gas and not re instate it till i get paid what im owed

this is how this guy pays his rent, you cant mess with that

Last edited:
IMHO this section of this forum should be shut down either by the admin or indirectly, by people not contributing to it. There is far too much phishing going on and far too much free information given away. Henceforth , ishall no longer post to this section of the forum..only the by invitation GSR section.

Just to chuck some more coal on the fire!!!

It looks a bit like 50/50!!

The poster dosn't state that they wont pay apon complition and belives that the job is not complete, as stated in the original post no paper work filled and not commisioned!! therfore is with holding the final payment untill complete!!

the install belives he has completed his part and his with holding certifcation untill full payment is recived!!

perhaps you should give him a call and tell him his cheque / brown envolope of cash is sat next to the boiler waiting for him to return and sign the bench mark!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas safe and buildings control not notified of new boiler installation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock