Search the forum,

Discuss Gas safe (Acs) To Rgi Ireland in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

Im looking for some advice.

I will be leaving scotland for Dublin soon and wondered how i would go about converting my domestic and commercial gas qualifications to thr irish Rgi certification. I have SVQ level 3 apprenticeship in domestic gas maintenance and all ACS certs required to work in the UK but not 100% sure about where to find this out.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Hi Adamson,

Southern Ireland and their acceptance of qualifications from other EU member States is not as straightforward as it should be.

As a minimum ( for the domestic qualification) you need to demonstrate:

NVQ Level 3
Gas Safe Registration
Work Experience CV / Schedule since you completed your NVQ Level 3 or for 10 years which ever is shorter.

Normally that is sufficient for you to achieve acceptance to be granted RGI for Gas in Southern Ireland.

The heart of the issue is that in Ireland there is an Irish qualification at NVQ Level 3 in Gas Fitting as well as a separate NVQ Level 3 in Plumbing. Their equivalent ( for gas) is an NFQ ( their terminology) Level 6 in Gas Fitting. There is no obvious parallel vocational UK qualification in Gas Fitting that is comparable. Consequently (sometimes) the perception is that an NVQ Level 3 is below an NFQ Level 6. Electrical trades have the same the same issue.

They are also acutely aware that it is possible to be Gas Safe Registered in the UK without holding an NVQ at any level. Without an NVQ to transfer a Gas Safe Registration for use in Southern Ireland you would have to start from scratch ( this obviously does not apply to you).

If after satisfying the above criteria they still may ask you to take the “renewal Domestic Gas Installers” - DGI - RGI course ( 2 days) - not particularly onerous, but you need to know the detail of the local Regulations ( the reference number of which is IS 814) - but it has a strong emphasis on LPG.

I don’t have experience in placing UK Commercially Registered Gas people into Ireland, but I do know that the Trades Union involvement in that sector ( in the Dublin area) is at a much higher and more organised level that it is for the equivalent sector in the UK. The majority of Irish commercially registered gas sector engineers are former ESBi people.

Last edited:
Hi Adamson,

Southern Ireland and their acceptance of qualifications from other EU member States is not as straightforward as it should be.

As a minimum ( for the domestic qualification) you need to demonstrate:

NVQ Level 3
Gas Safe Registration
Work Experience CV / Schedule since you completed your NVQ Level 3 or for 10 years which ever is shorter.

Normally that is sufficient for you to achieve acceptance to be granted RGI for Gas in Southern Ireland.

The heart of the issue is that in Ireland there is an Irish qualification at NVQ Level 3 in Gas Fitting as well as a separate NVQ Level 3 in Plumbing. Their equivalent ( for gas) is an NFQ ( their terminology) Level 6 in Gas Fitting. There is no obvious parallel vocational UK qualification in Gas Fitting that is comparable. Consequently (sometimes) the perception is that an NVQ Level 3 is below an NFQ Level 6. Electrical trades have the same the same issue.

They are also acutely aware that it is possible to be Gas Safe Registered in the UK without holding an NVQ at any level. Without an NVQ to transfer a Gas Safe Registration for use in Southern Ireland you would have to start from scratch ( this obviously does not apply to you).

If after satisfying the above criteria they still may ask you to take the “renewal Domestic Gas Installers” - DGI - RGI course ( 2 days) - not particularly onerous, but you need to know the detail of the local Regulations ( the reference number of which is IS 814) - but it has a strong emphasis on LPG.

I don’t have experience in placing UK Commercially Registered Gas people into Ireland, but I do know that the Trades Union involvement in that sector ( in the Dublin area) is at a much higher and more organised level that it is for the equivalent sector in the UK. The majority of Irish commercially registered gas sector engineers are former ESBi people.

Hi Bramble,

Thanks very much for your time to reply. This is exactly what i needed to know.

In relation with the next steps to take, will i needed to email RGI and attach all my relevant qualifications that you mentioned? I have them all that you mentioned above and a cv outlining all experience. With a good few years working for BG (Bord gais)

Also, i was hoping to be employed with a company rather than go self employed, would this hinder my application or would i need to register in my own name i.e with own insurance and business number etc? I am currently employed within a company obviously under their ID etc.

Thanks,

Hi,

I would call the RGII registration section - 01 4997998 to ask for a registration form and explain your circumstances. The online process is too prescriptive and does not allow you to explain your experience in the detail required to avoid the refresher examination.

The only difference between company and individual membership is the level of insurance that they require you ( or the Company to hold). The insurance has to be in place before they will register you.

Make you that your schedule of job experience is as detailed as possible and goes back preferably 10 years.

Hi,

I would call the RGII registration section - 01 4997998 to ask for a registration form and explain your circumstances. The online process is too prescriptive and does not allow you to explain your experience in the detail required to avoid the refresher examination.

The only difference between company and individual membership is the level of insurance that they require you ( or the Company to hold). The insurance has to be in place before they will register you.

Make you that your schedule of job experience is as detailed as possible and goes back preferably 10 years.

Brilliant, thanks very much for your help, i will call them tomorrow and see if i can get it sorted. I will keep you posted!

Reply to Gas safe (Acs) To Rgi Ireland in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock