Search the forum,

Discuss Gas portfolio ££££ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paramkular

hi everyone,
just wondering if someone could help me out on this issue?
i need someone to sign my porfolio but im having problems with that eg no one seems interested to take me on.
recently found this fella who is charging me quite a sum to help me complete my portfolio..:confused::eek:
could anyone advise me on this if you have ever come across such a chance and what might be the implications
i am totally:confused::confused::confused::confused:

if he is taking money off you to let you do your portfolio then he is a **** and taking you for a ride

if he is taking money off you to let you do your portfolio then he is a **** and taking you for a ride
no difference to paying for training really in some way we all pay for training as an apprentice i was paid less than a plumbers mate so i was actually paying to learn
knoledge is always exspensive just look at the price of technical books compared to novels 4 or 5 times more at least
comes back to you dont pay for what i do you pay for what i know

Last edited:
steve whatever happened to trying to give someone a leg up..the guy has paid a training company and just wants help getting experience to actually charge him for letting him tag allong is in my view immoral but each to their own

steve whatever happened to trying to give someone a leg up..the guy has paid a training company and just wants help getting experience to actually charge him for letting him tag allong is in my view immoral but each to their own
and when his finished, his obviously local to you , he starts uo his own buisness and now he is your competitor younger fitter and living at home with his mum only needs his beer money each week so undercutting you at every turn

i see your point but better to not give hime help building portfolio thatn to take money from him
this guy isnt worried about him becoming a competitor he is just making sure he skins hime for some bucks before he does
better to not help him at all
my point is help or dont help but dont try and make as much money out of the poor sap first

thanks for all your replies guys i do value them alot but i just wish there is someone out there to help me out do this portfolio so i can get some experience too.

It would probably help if you told people what area you live in so they can offer to help.

Ye you are right my friend
i live in osterley that is near heathrow airport
I have asked so many people around my area to take me on buwt no one is willing to.....i thought the world out there was kind enough to help but i guess i was wrong eveyone is there rip you off:(:eek::eek:

its a tough world out there,poeple will take you on if you work say 2 days for free,shows your keen,less of a burden on employer.take it from me my apprentises,year 1, look,learn what tools are what,learn what fittings are what,fetch and carry,year2 dress rads,learn plumbing,basics,year 3 start gas .no short cuts.we had 5years of it poorly paid,but am i glad i stuck with i.took a further 10years to aquire experiace to be confident and know almost everything plumbing/gas with bg/and other firms

its a tough world out there,poeple will take you on if you work say 2 days for free,shows your keen,less of a burden on employer.take it from me my apprentises,year 1, look,learn what tools are what,learn what fittings are what,fetch and carry,year2 dress rads,learn plumbing,basics,year 3 start gas .no short cuts.we had 5years of it poorly paid,but am i glad i stuck with i.took a further 10years to aquire experiace to be confident and know almost everything plumbing/gas with bg/and other firms

cheers mate,well i am keen to learn would definitely work for free for a couple of days as long as someone takes me under his wings .

Go out and gain a Gas Install job off your own back, then offer the work to a Gas Engineer. You getting him a job should be payment enough to have him let you join in and learn on the install.

Go out and gain a Gas Install job off your own back, then offer the work to a Gas Engineer. You getting him a job should be payment enough to have him let you join in and learn on the install.

Nice one bud!!! thats a good idea i think i can somehow manage to do that but the prob is how much should i ask to install a boiler so that i can be damn sure i will get that particular job.
:cool:

you find the job and i will price it for you and you can watch my son install it and get a job for your portfolio and earn some cash as well i am near heathrow doing my portfolio just need some boiler services and its done
my son is gas safe registered but works for a company during the week but if you get a job give me a shout and i will price it and see what happens

you find the job and i will price it for you and you can watch my son install it and get a job for your portfolio and earn some cash as well i am near heathrow doing my portfolio just need some boiler services and its done
my son is gas safe registered but works for a company during the week but if you get a job give me a shout and i will price it and see what happens

cheers newbie,
i will definitely get in touch with you mate,now its time to go and get busy finding some jobs.:)

Send me your contact details ([email protected]), you can help out on an install for your portfolio if you are desparate (Maidenhead area).

Definately won't be taking money off you, but then again can't say I'd be able to pay you either.

Just a word or warning. I have an apprentice and I am not looking for another one. If you don't know one end of a spanner from another then I'm afraid I haven't got time to teach you. Quite happy to talk you through the job, but will expect you to at least know the basics.

I find it strange that people don't mind paying thousands of pounds to a training centre to get a useless piece of paper, that is not a recognised qualification, but moan when a qualified installer charges them for taking them under their wing to allow them to build their portfolio, having a trainee, or an apprentice, is time consuming, they do not save you time, in fact they cost you time, having to explain what you are doing and why, it is right that someone building their portfolio should pay for this knowledge, it is the kind of knowledge you will not get in a training centre, nor from a book.

I have a guy very slowly gaining gas experience by geting boiler swap jobs and paying me to do them with him. We take 50/50 he finds the job I run the show on the install, he does the heavy work. Custard gets a professional job done, and I'm not signing off another person's work it is both out work his status is the same as if he was my apprentice, but without a down side. He is actually very competent and has a host of customers.

So because there is so little rgi work at the moment I suggest you try that method yourself O.P.

I have also found that what you give you get back. Because another person I gave a chance to 5 years ago by training him is now providing me with extremely well paid work. He won't have anyone else do it, he knows he gets a cock on job done and he is pleased to be able to pay me back for the favour I did him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a guy very slowly gaining gas experience by geting boiler swap jobs and paying me to do them with him. We take 50/50 he finds the job I run the show on the install, he does the heavy work. Custard gets a professional job done, and I'm not signing off another person's work it is both out work his status is the same as if he was my apprentice, but without a down side. He is actually very competent and has a host of customers.

So because there is so little rgi work at the moment I suggest you try that method yourself O.P.

I have also found that what you give you get back. Because another person I gave a chance to 5 years ago by training him is now providing me with extremely well paid work. He won't have anyone else do it, he knows he gets a cock on job done and he is pleased to be able to pay me back for the favour I did him.

thats what we do, works every time. supply the fitter with the job team up and learn.

Nice one Boys....thanks for the encouragement
im on the prowl for new jobs hope i do get a few and be able to get my porfolio done.
Kudos to this great site!!!!!!!:)

Funny enough, I did this, met a really nice fella who's been a heating engineer for 15 years and he's agreed to train me and pay me too, but we both still look for work for each other.

So you never know your luck

Hi
I passed my ACS a few weeks ago and done my LPG last week.
I could be looking for someone in a few months time to help me out in the Kent area if anyone is interested?
Rob

I'm in Bexleyheath, own van, tools, everything really, I'd be willing to jump on board ;-)

Furthest I've travelled so far is Margate, so i can cover most of Kent easily.

LPG how much you pay for that if u dont mind me asking? Will be doing mine in the new year, was quoted i think just over £300 with the training and assesments and certs..

About £400 for LPG changeover. Takes about 2 days. Not too difficult if you have already done your natural gas though. 1 day training, one morning practial and one afternoon written exams.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas portfolio ££££ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock