Search the forum,

Discuss gas portfolio for my ASC,nottinghamshire,derbyshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello guys , Im looking for help if possible ,Im first time poster

Last week I finished 8 weeks theory (using LOGIC) (Health & Safety,History of Gas Industry,Gas Pipework,Pipe Sizing,Combustion,Principles of Gas Flues,Chimney Standards,Ventilation,Gas Controls,Y' Pland and 'S' Plan Installations,Boiler Design, Combi, System and Heat Only,Types of Heating Systems, Heating Design Referencing Part L/ F of Building Regulations,Types of Hot Water Storage,Unsafe Situations,Electrical Awareness,Gas Safety Regulations) at training centre where they introduced me to a mentor who should help my out with my portfolio,but he is busy doing bathrooms etc, so it may takes me ages now to finish my 30 jobs (10 boliers,10 cookers,10 fires, 5 install,5 services ). I was wondering if there is anyone how can help my with any of this jobs I got to do so I can finish my ASC a bit sooner?Or so I can gain some experience . I'll work for free of course ,I have my own transport ,Ill be there to learn not to waste a time? I live in Nottingham but can travel anywhere in nottinghamshire or derbyshire ?many thanks Matt

Last edited:
Matt,

For Logic ACS, I would suggest that you go back and look at the rules in more detail. What you are saying is correct (that is one route), but there are more straightforward routes to achieving ACS and subsequently Gas Safe.

If you focus on boilers, which requires a portfolio of just 10 jobs ( 5 instals and 5 services). Then take your ACS. After at least a further 6 months of working in the industry, apply for space heaters and cookers. That would be by examination, without the need for a portfolio of further jobs.

Please don’t read this as a mechanism to short cut the system. Whoever has tutored you has not fully explained to you the rules applied by the Awarding Body ( Logic ). In my view to achieve (pass) ACS you will need to have undertaken a lot more than 10 jobs and at least 6 to 9 months solid experience in Gas. That will probably give you a better grounding to enter the industry than just focusing on trying to shadow someone on 30 selected jobs.

Last edited:
Hi there. Im not focusing just on boilers ;) I need to do 30 jobs all together, 10 boilers (5install 5 service) 10 cookers and 10 fires;) this is that's it;) this is what they want me to do before I go for my final week which is " ASC initial training and assessment) . is it a 3 step course- step 1-Centre lead training,300 Guided Learning Hours plus structured self-study; stap 2 - on site portfolio building -30 jobs (10 boilers,10 cookers,10 fires) ;step 3-ASC initial training and assessment (80 Guided Learning Hours),after all ill get CCN1 – Core Gas Safety,CENWAT – Central Heating and Water Heaters,CKR1 – Gas Cookers,CPA1 – Flue Gas Analyser,HTR1 – Gas Fires. this is a Logic Certification ;) . they did provided me with a mentor so I can do all 30 jobs with him but im looking for any places/people where I could do some jobs so I can get this out of way as my mentor does mostly bathrooms now and I cant wait just for him till he gets some gas jobs so I can jump with him ;)im not looking to cut corners or anything like that mate ;) Im looking for any help to gain experience/finish my portfolio ;) this is what I learned so far after step 1 :
Health & Safety Instruction
Gas Pipework Installation
Soldering, Pipe Bending, Using Compression Fittings
Fabrication of Steel Pipework
Internal Gas Carcassing
Installation of Central Heating Radiator
Gas Meter Installation
Gas Boiler and Water Heater Installation, Maintenance and Service
Gas Cooker Installation and Service
Gas Fire Installation, Maintenance and Service
Tightness Testing
Working - Standing Pressure
Gas Rating of Appliances
Use of Flue Gas Analyser
Installation of Gas and Heating Controls
Fault Finding
Design and Installation of Heating Circuit
Testing of Gas and Heating Controls
Electrical Systems and Controls
Basic Wiring Testing
Spillage Testing
Flue Flow Testing
Purge Volume
Commissioning of Gas Appliances
Health & Safety
History of Gas Industry
Gas Pipework
Pipe Sizing
Combustion
Principles of Gas Flues
Chimney Standards
Ventilation
Gas Controls
Y' Pland and 'S' Plan Installations
Boiler Design, Combi, System and Heat Only
Types of Heating Systems, Heating Design Referencing Part L/ F of Building Regulations
Types of Hot Water Storage
Unsafe Situations
Electrical Awareness
Gas Safety Regulations

many thanks ;)

I remember having to do 75 boiler jobs for my boiler portfolio. 35 of everything else. The books are the easy bit. Good luck getting there and if you go self employed remember you need to make more than just a wage.

Thanks guys;) 30 jobs is not a lot so before I go self employed I'll go with a company for a bit untill I feel safe and confident ;)

no mate ,nothing lined up but once I become gas safe Im sure I'll get a job somewhere as everyone needs to start at one point,even a beginners as u propobly know guys, u all been been through it right ?;)

This is the point mate places won’t take you on without experience and you can’t get experience without doing the job it’s a vicious circle

Not sure if its any help as i only do commercial but i have , one boiler replacement (probably Vaillant ecotecpro28) its a combi for an office in Bradford, I have 3 inch and 2 inch pipework install about 30M of in Dronfield and 4 boiler servicing in chesterfield. All these need to be done in the next few months

Reply to gas portfolio for my ASC,nottinghamshire,derbyshire in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock