Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe work long run from Gas meter in large property in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I am new gas safe and met hard situation when I did gas safety check on large property with 3 acre site. The property is old and large size, installed two 30KW heat only gas boiler to supply CH and DHW, range cooker and gas hob. I was be told the meter is installed at the entrance of the property when I asked the old lady where it is. I had bad feeling and found the meter is 100 meters away from the main house and the burner pressure is 10mb, inlet pressure is 13.4mb on both boiler@Max output. luckily I had two digital manometer. MI said inlet should be 20mb and burner should be more than 13.9mb. GPA result is bad with ratio is 0.1and CO was 400. I have no choice to give the lady ID notice and label. I proposed disconnect the boilers and range cooker,just left the gas hob for The lady . The lady didn’t agreed me to disconnect the boilers and ask her friend to find another gas engineer to inspect. The guy came soon and quickly gone with agreement of what I did. The old lady is one friends of my wife. I have to help her to contact with SGN to update the gas meter(G4 hers) and alter the meter adjacent to her house. It is a large project and will last long time. SGN sent an quotation about £3k to increase the capacity but still installed similar position near the boundery. I asked the SGN it still be an issue for long run gas pipe result in large pressure drop and wait them reply.
Does anyone know is it popular for large property for the meter is so far long run?
another nightmare is my wife told me the old lady has another boiler to supply the hot water for her open swimming pool with the same situation.
Can anyone of gas guy give advice?

regards

Meter might be fine depending on usage but it’s close

why two 30kw boilers for heating and hot water

your issue is supply pipe to the house from the meter is too small for the load

have inspected the old property with single pipe heating system , the lady complaint cold in winter. I think one of 30KW boiler will heat this size property very well if they have good design and good insulation. But unfortunately there are not.
I disconnect one boiler and left one run only and got the result, Inlet pressure 17.2mb, burner pressure 12.5mb, working pressure @ meter 20.95mb, Gas rate 2.64m3/h. Co/co2 ratio 0.002 with Co2 @7.2% with CO 95. Two boiler run together inlet pressure will drop to 13.4mb and burner pressure 10.0mb with high GPA reading like i did before. So I told the lady, if the SGN doesn't plan to move your meter, we have to rely on the one boiler, other wise change the old heating system and have good insulation.
I will check the boiler in swimming pool which supplied by another meter with different operator. I guess there will be similar issue, the boiler should not be small than 45KW.

sorry to mention, The supply gas pipe outlet from G4 meter is 28mm copper and went down the ground and appear near the house with connection with 22mm copper with short 4 meter run. So I don't think update this short length 22mm copper pipe to 28mm copper will solve the problem. I have no idea the size and the materials of the pipe underground. The lady doesn't have idea. It will be PE pipe or CSST? have no idea.

What did you do there just a gas check or did you install two new boilers ?

Yep supply pipe from the meter underground too small and meter on the border prob existing is Coated copper

roughly 90 kw load over 100m needs a supply pipe from the meter to the house of around 2” either ccst or steel so your well under also commercial install

Many thanks Shauncorbs.
I have no idea now. I have two choice.

One is accept the SGN offer to increase the meter capacity replaced by G10 Meter supplied with new 2" service pipe work quoted £2.5K and owner responsible to remove the old exist pipe and install the new pipe like you mentioned 2" CSST.

Another one is keep exist meter and pipe, update the heating system from old one pipe system to multi zone two pipe system and replace two old heat only boiler with one Vaillant 435 or Worcester 32Ri boiler, I found the Worcester is high pressure drop friendly manufacturer who offer lowest inlet pressure on gas valve @ 16.5mb. Other manufacturer just said 20mb inlet pressure and etc.

I have no experience and would like to hear advice from our respect gas engineers. Solute.

Regards
Yongquan Hu

Two options meter needs moving to the house or supply pipe needs upgrading from the meter to the house

Many thanks.
Somehow I have touched what I am not qualified.
Such kind of installation volume is more than 0.035m3 and I don’t know the size of underground whether is large or small than 35mm. So officially I can not touch to do the tightness and purging procedure. If the upgrade meter Installed adjacent the house, I ,as domestic gas guy can do it Without gain commercial ACS. SGN look like don’t want to offer us to remove meter, So there is only one option left, accept their Offer. Because exist meter is G4 meter, the capacity is limited, only update pipe size underground will not adequate. I just want to know whether there is chance to run only one boiler which gain 17mb inlet pressure and get good GPA Reading?
Regards

I wouldn’t say it’s possible even with one boiler distance is too great 100m is a long way

Its a very long way and quite frankly the eng who commissioned the boiler(S) needs a visit from GS cos that is miles out . I only do non-dom and are based in the midlands however not had much pushback from supplier to put meter where I want it, this would help you and perhaps get you back in scope, good Luck

Reply to Gas pipe work long run from Gas meter in large property in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock