Search the forum,

Discuss Gas pipe under loft insulation. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

The copper gas pipe to my boiler in the loft runs between joists and sits on the plasterboard. I understand that it should not be covered by insulation. Why? Is it satisfactory to create a dome over the pipe with upside down guttering and then put fibreglass insulation over the top please?

Think your getting confused with wires ideally you don’t want wires/ cables encapsulated in insulation as it de rates there load capacity

The gas pipe should have its own clips / supports but other than that never heard of no insulation around it

Think your getting confused with wires ideally you don’t want wires/ cables encapsulated in insulation as it de rates there load capacity

The gas pipe should have its own clips / supports but other than that never heard of no insulation around it
Thanks Shaun
I'm basing this on BS 6891:2015 on low pressure gas pipework which says 8.9.13 Pipework shall not be laid below or within roof space insulation material.

Is it staying non habitable/ no floor going on it ?

I'm not sure this is the reason, so treat it as a guess, but if some types of insulation get wet (die to condensation / leaks in the roof space) it creates a corrosive environment that attacks pipes. I've only seen this with steel pipes, but copper corrodes nicely too.

Lagg it with pipe insulation doesn’t touch any insulation then tbh seen most bungalows with new insulation over the top of pipes with no problem

My understanding is that if it is covered in loft insulation, it is similar to it being installed in an un-ventilated void.

That would be the same for upside down guttering, especially if it was also covered in loft insulation.

It is to prevent any leak from building up in volume and or migrating.

My understanding is that if it is covered in loft insulation, it is similar to it being installed in an un-ventilated void.

That would be the same for upside down guttering, especially if it was also covered in loft insulation.

It is to prevent any leak from building up in volume and or migrating.
Thank you. That is very helpful.

Reply to Gas pipe under loft insulation. in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock